Excursion Towing Problem Question

BoilerMakerSteve66

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
HowieE,

I tow a 30' TT with my X. I have Michelin LTX, stock size, Load Range E.

I have towed without and now with the Hellig swaybar on the rear. I have never had the problems you discussed. I run the camper tires at 50 psi, the maximum on the side walls. I run the rears on the X at 65 psi, which matches up with the maximum rear axle weight for the truck. I have a WD hitch with a friction type anti sway bar on the hitch.

I am really happy with the ride and handling of the Michelins. This set has over 50,000 miles.

The symptoms you describe sounds like a light tongue to me, but could be tire related as well. Maybe you could put an extra few hundred pounds in the front of the camper and see if that helps.

I can't imagine dragging that big a trailer around with a gasser, but if that will make you feel safer, it may be worth it. I won't be giving up my 7.3 anytime soon, it is just breaking in at 225,000 miles.:cool:

Maybe you should just drag the whole rig to RV shop and ask them to set the hitch up for your new vehicle.

I have towed with vehicles that are affected by cars and are scary when the big rigs come by. The X isn't like that at all for me.

Steve

HowieE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Steve

You mention you had the Excursion and towed with it before and after installing the Hellwig sway bar. What was the difference you saw if any?

I was a bit surprised at the rear axle weight only going up 540 lbs. with the trailer , but nothing had changed form when I towed that trailer with the Sub.

Both trucks are diesel by the way.

BoilerMakerSteve66

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
HowieE,

I started pulling this trailer with an Expedition, a 1/2 ton chasis with the associated short wheelbase. That was horrible. You had to anticipate everytime a semi was coming up in the passing lane (get way to the right so you don't get sucked into the trailer.:sly

When I made the move to the X it was so much better. The long wheelbase and heavier chasis made a big difference, semis are barely noticeable. The swaybar seems to help with body role issues more than anything (trailering or alone). The swaybar is better, but it is a tweak when compared to the change in from Expedition to Excursion. It is pretty easy to install.

Steve

HowieE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update we went to Fl. for the month of Jan. I did raise the tire pressure for that trip but can honestly say it had no effect on the handling of the Excursion.

I also had several occasions on that trip to drive the truck without the trailer. Wandering is a problem. Even on smooth roads I have to correct the steering ever 100 yards or so.

A friend here in town went so far as to change out the steering box on his Excursion with improved steering ease but no improvement in the wandering. His problem is much worst than mine, even though he runs 85 lbs. tire pressure.

Not sure what action to attempt next. I don't think I will go so far as to change the front end to coil springs as some are saying.

Last edited:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Wandering is a problem. Even on smooth roads I have to correct the steering ever 100 yards or so.

Not sure what action to attempt next.

Why won't you install Hellwig sway bars and fix the problem?? Months ago you were informed by several of us that they are loose in stock form but the Hellwig bars fix them right up for most guys.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some would rather complain i guess...

i know several excursions owners have tried to
work w/ him on the airstream forum...he refuses
their advice & experiance too

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think he needs to install the sway bar. If that doesn't fix it he needs to add more weight to the tongue. I know a guy who complained that his 4wheeler trailer was all over the road empty, he wondered how to fix it. He later figured out he needed some weight on the tongue to correct it. To the OP what is the difference in hitch height from the burb to the ex? My guess is about 2" and the burb's suspension isn't as stout as the ex therefore you don't have the same setup on both vehicles.

HowieE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think he needs to install the sway bar. If that doesn't fix it he needs to add more weight to the tongue. I know a guy who complained that his 4wheeler trailer was all over the road empty, he wondered how to fix it. He later figured out he needed some weight on the tongue to correct it. To the OP what is the difference in hitch height from the burb to the ex? My guess is about 2" and the burb's suspension isn't as stout as the ex therefore you don't have the same setup on both vehicles.

Tongue weight did not change from TV to TV. The hitch height was adjusted so the trailer rides level in both cases. As for the suspension you may be on to something. The Sub had a 1 ton suspension.

The tongue weight, hitch height and suspension clearly will effect steering problems while towing but the Ex wanders even without the trailer. It is this underlying wandering that I am attempting to resolve on the assumption it will
improve the handling while towing.

HowieE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why won't you install Hellwig sway bars and fix the problem?? Months ago you were informed by several of us that they are loose in stock form but the Hellwig bars fix them right up for most guys.

After this last trip and some additional info that has come in I am headed in that direction. I think a sway bar will help in the towing situation but not sure it will address the wandering while driving solo.

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also recommend changing out your steering stabilizer and check the front sway-bar bushings. Your Ex shouldn't be wandering under any condition our's is lifted and on 315's with now wander. What air pressure do you have in it with out a load? It kind of makes me wonder if you have a tire that is slightly out of round.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg