Excursion Towing Problem Question

HowieE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not an EX or Burb guy but Right Off the Top I'd question the 45 lb tire pressure. What does the Air Stream weight, by it's self, as compared to the tire pressure recommendations (per tire) On the tire(s) ? Same thing with the Ex tires.

Then, you get into the Set Up on the WD hitch verses wheel base. You may need (probably will) to change the adjustments (Shims) on the WD hitch from the Burb set up to the Ex. Weight per Axel might be right but the way it's transferred, can make a difference.

I'd still start with the Tire Pressures. Try putting the Max pressure as recommended by the trailer tire maker.

Tire pressures on the truck and trailer are set against the manufactures inflation charts plus 5 lbs. Most people, and tire dealers, are not even aware these charts exist. Trailer weight is 8300 lbs. Using 225 75 16
that would call for less than 40 lbs using the inflation chart.
http://www.goodyear.com/truck/pdf/databook/5113_Lsec_V.pdf
I posted a Goodyear chart only because Michelin has taken their chart off the web. Charts are the same tire for tire

The hitch is set up against scale weights on front and rear axle of the truck.

The same system of set up and tire inflation has been used for my last 4 TVs. with over 200,000 miles

I have towed this trailer with a 1/2 ton Suburban and a 3/4 ton Suburban and never even knew the trailer was back there.

It appears there is an inherent problem with the Excursion and I am looking for those who have solved this problem and just how they did it.

Last edited:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh man...i guess i have to wonder why ive never heard anyone ELSE
complaining about this...perhaps were all just stupid ford owners...

and fwiw most of us DO KNOW that those tire / inflation charts DO
exist...i have one in my glove box !

only time ive ever had an issue w/ my trailer is when the pressure
was down (and the trailer was empty)...i run mine at the full 65psi
just like the side wall tells me to do....and honestly that seems to
be where the RIDE and STABLITY are the best for my little ol' trailer.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
oh man...i guess i have to wonder why ive never heard anyone ELSE
complaining about this...perhaps were all just stupid ford owners..

You must not hang out in Excursion forum much if you have not heard of this problem.

Sway bars fix the problem. See my previous post.

HowieE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must not hang out in Excursion forum much if you have not heard of this problem.

I am new to the Ford side so how about the site address for the best Excursion Forum?

In the mean time I have a call into Hellwig.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score

ok i agree...didnt realize the ex was THAT different...perhaps
that larger tank @ the back contributes to it too.

theres a link in my mods for the hellwig part/number...i played
hell w/ them (and summit racing) getting the right bar.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
When we tow with the Excursion I keep the tire psi -5psi under max and also tighten up the shocks which helps alot.

The rear sway bar is a definite must!:sweet

HowieE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a very lengthily conversation with a Michelin Company truck tire rep Yesterday. After reviewing my axle weights and other factors he came to the same conclusion I had as far as tire pressure, 50 front and 55 rear. He did say that under no circumstances should I go out to 75 psi as that would reduce the road contact surface to a dangerous state.

Now I have to question if I want to get into a chassis redesign or sell the truck. Today I mounted a Thule rack system in hopes of carrying my kayak. The roof on the Excursion is so thin that it would not support the rack let along the kayak.

So if any of you know someone looking for an 04 Limited Black with 34,000 miles, capt. front and rear, Pioneer nav/radio, brand new Michelins, and ready to go just not tow let me know.

Last edited:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
So if any of you know someone looking for an 04 Limited Black with 34,000 miles, capt. front and rear, Pioneer nav/radio, brand new Michelin's, and ready to go just not tow let me know.

I have been looking around a little. Wish we had never got rid of our 00' but the miles were getting up there. How much you want for it? I am not a fan of black but for the right price I might live with it. Hey bama how much to ship it to my house?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14