Extending Overload spring perches

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
For you guys that pack a load I thought I would share a little project that I just completed. My truck is lifted a little so the overloads never touch the perches no matter what I load up but even in stock form the perches are up a little high. At EnergySuspension.com you can find a variety of bump stops that are intended to go between the axle and frame but they work great to go between the spring and perch. I ordered a set of 9.9109 low profile stops and a set of 9.9104 high stops from Schucks auto parts. Due to my lift the rear perches are farther than the front so I needed the two different sizes.

Here are the pictures of the install: Please pardon the dirt, mud and grime-today is the first day we have had over freezing since last fall. Spring cleaning will begin just as soon as water will flow through my garden hose.

Stock front:
misc002.jpg

Stock rear:
misc001.jpg

Modified front:
misc003.jpg

Modified rear:
misc004.jpg

Loaded front:
misc019.jpg

Loaded rear:
misc018.jpg

Loaded front with 50 psi in the air bags:
misc020.jpg

Loaded rear with 50 psi in the air bags:
misc021.jpg

With the extensions in place the load is much more stable and the overloads are actually doing something. If you check out the Energy suspension link above you will find bump stops in all shaped and sizes to suit your needs. Some of the guys over at the camper forums go with the 9.9109 low profile stops while some go with the 9.9121 Low profile button head bump stop. If you are going to pack a load you might check into extending yours so that the overloads actually do something.

Here is my load and I like the way the bump stops reduced sway:
misc026.jpg

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
i must say, the stance with that big O camper on the back looks awesome.

am i mistaken, or are those new shoes you got on them wheels?

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good. Did you have to drill the hole for the bolt or did it fit into what looks like a slot for the OEM rubber mounts?

Thanks,

Al

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Looks good Crumm...................... :sweet

Tbar

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awsome looking Crumm;

I was going to ask you how you like the stops, but you answered my question.
Your truck looks better and better every time you post. Those new tires sure make a huge difference.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Looks good. Did you have to drill the hole for the bolt or did it fit into what looks like a slot for the OEM rubber mounts?

Thanks,

Al

They are bolted through the slot that the OEM rubber was mounted in. I used a standard grade 8 washer but plan on making some small oval flat-iron washers that will cover the whole slot and tack-weld them in place. I mounted them up in about 5-minutes and just didn't take the time to build the washers yet. The regular round washers are working fine so far but I think in time the stops may move around a little a possibly pull the washers through the slot although the nut will not fit through the slot so it might be OK.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
So if I'm reading right, you have air bags in the rear too?

Maybe I'll have to try it sometime, would take some of the strain off my air bags, I get a little squeamish when I get them above 85 psi :eek: not like I ever haul much though... :D

Nice to see crumm's truck dirty for once, makes me feel a little better :oops:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58