Extra's

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After buying your 5er or Travel Trailer, what did you find that you had to purchase that did not come with the coach?

Yellowsub1962

supernewbie
Reaction score
I got a couple of these:
‘Lock and Chock’ trailer wheel chocks
made by BAL, part # 92-9034

and am thinking of getting one of those EZ jack ramp thingys.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Wheel chocks
Lighting pigtail extension
New handle for fifth-wheel hitch
New window (broken before I got the coach)
New linens
New pots and pans
New utensils
AAA Plus RV membership
Good Sam Club membership
Jayco Jayfari membership
Rug shampoo
Toilet chemical and RV toilet paper
Two replacement clearance lights
Two replacement stop and turn lights
Two refill bottles of propane
Black touch up paint
Wiring and fuses to fix a futzed up house battery setup
Battery box
Tripod for the DirecTV dish
Cloth for new curtains

DirecTV and two televisions, a gimme item from my dad's house. That is the extent of my inheritance!

All of the foo foo stuff was the wife's idea.:D

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your trailer is 30 A get a 30 foot long 30 A Extension cord. This is something you may hardly every use but will be so glad to have it the times you need it.
A good 6 Ft Extension ladder for cleaning off the tops of the slide out rooms.
A good Grill for out side cooking.
A light weight rug for laying out side in front of the door of your RV.
Also remember that when you are buying these things, you will have to have a place to carry them down the road. That's the fun part finding a place for it all.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
After buying your 5er or Travel Trailer, what did you find that you had to purchase that did not come with the coach?

You'll need adapters to connect to std 15 amp outlets.

If you have a 30 amp power cord, sooner or later, you will likely need a 30 female to 50 male adapter. (Funny thing though, the only time I needed one was when I didn't have it. That's why I refer to it as a Murphy's law adapter)

If you have a 50 amp power cord, you definately will need a 50 female to 30 male adapter. Not all places have 50 amp service, only 30 amp.

Whatever you get, get a pigtail/dogbone style adapter vs the "hockey puck" style adapters. Frequently the puck style has clearance issues when closing the covers on outlet boxes to protect from rain. They also have more of a tendancy to fall out of the outlet due to supporting more of the weight of the cord than pigtail styles.

Other things you will need are sewer hoses and connector/adapters for handling the dumping of your holding tanks. Sometimes there is a tendancy for folks to get cheap "Walmart" sewer hoses. Get a quality, thick material hose from a RV dealer, usually 20 mils in thickness. This is one area where you don't want to go cheaply. A cheap hose will have thinner wall material. It doesn't take a lot to put holes through the thin material. You won't know it until you're emptying your holding tank and you discover you have several little geysers of sewage coming from your hose.

If you pretty much use the holding tank and dump it, then a 10' hose will suffice. If you go to campgrounds with on-site hookups, then you may want a 20' hose to reach the sewer hookups on the campsite. Some hook ups may be less of a reach, but some are more so.

Also, try to get the largest amp/hour battery that'll fit in your RV. Usually the standard battery that comes with a RV is not a higher capacity battery, usually more of a middle of the road size. Commonly a group 24 or 27. Many of your appliances depend on 12v power not for "fuel", but for the control circuitry. This is in addition to all your interior & exterior lighting as well as water pumps and furnace blower fans. If you do any "rustic" camping, a bigger battery like a group 31, will be something you'll wish you had after 4 or 5 days. I've have found that a group 31 battery will fit into a group 27 battery box. So if you can fit a group 27 sized box, you should be able to accomodate a group 31 battery. The dealer I work at offers a battery upgrade for new RV's. Going from a grp 24 to a grp 31 is only about $30. I don't see why you couldn't swing a similiar deal at your dealership.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Wow... Great ideas.

Thanks to all of you... Some very good idea's that I had not thought about.
Obviously things you learn from experiences.
We have an older 5er that we have camped before, but you guys brought up some things that we have not run into before, along with some new products.

:santa2

pdt1081

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your trailer is 30 A get a 30 foot long 30 A Extension cord. This is something you may hardly every use but will be so glad to have it the times you need it.

A thing about this, our county fair this year started requiring all campers/RVs to have a 30AMP extension cord, even the old ones that didn't have 30amp service. Apparently, this is a new trend that is spreading.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
30 amp cord

I talked with the Wildcat dealer today, and the main electrical cord is 30 amp. I will need to purchase a 30 amp to 50 amp adapter, and also a 15 amp female to male adapter to plug into the garage current to charge up the batteries when sitting at home, as Tail gunner recommended.
Thanks again for all the good ideas.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
dont waste your $$ on rv toilet paper. just buy quality tissue thats ready for septic tanks. which 99% are these days
the simple test is put two tickets in a jar of water and shake , if it breaks right up you can use it

1. deep freeze 2.0 cub ft for basement -20 it will keep for over 5 days if you dont open it,

2. ditto a GOOD thick sewer hose plus one spare WITH connectors. you would be surprised how often folks drive off and leave the whole thing :roflmao

two GOOD water pressure regulators, i fianlly this year purchased one that i can regulate the pressure and flow, I beleive its made by watts, camping world has em

3. camping wolrd presidents club 13 or so a year, it gives you good discounts at thier stores or webite, plus super custmer service and ship anywhere you are

4. real good portable air filling device for tires.
5. very accurate tire guage not some cheap pencil gauge
6. good set of legos (big yellow blocks) legos
7. woodalls camping forum they have a great camprground finder FREEEEEE
woodalls.com
irv2.com
woodalls.com forums as well.
8. smal wisk broom
9. small suckarsaurus (vacum)
10. WEIGH your rig
11. check lug nuts often
12. walk around your rig all hooked up and think about what you need to change a tire...... our superduties have a great jack,
13. vertical clearance actually measure this.... trust me
14. pack loads of fun :D

look twice... back up slow...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58