failed emissions

fordfast

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
got a problem 97 f350 failed emission test. tech says burning to rich at low speeds 0-40 mph blowing black smoke. clears out after 40 mph. took to mechanic first tells me egr is bad and replaces it. still failed emission test. now he tells me waste gate and waste gate solenoid needs to be replaced. i have my doubts he knows what he is talking about. if i am easy on the throttle during upshifts, it will blow a little black smoke. medium on up peddle will produce a nice black cloud. i did disconnect the map sensor and plugged vaccuum line and the smoke cleared up through the whole driving range. bought a new map sensor and vaccuum line and replaced but it still smokes. am i on the right track ? truck runs strong and gets good mileage 16-17 in town. has 190,000 miles on it. going to take a trip to montana and the dakotas next month but need to pass the emission test here in denver co. so as to get reg. tags. anone have any ideas that i can try or same experiences? any advise would be appreciated. thank you:

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Ummm....the OBS trucks don't have a wastegate or WG solenoid, and to my knowledge they don't have an EGR valve either.:rolleyes:

Try another place to pass emissions if there's one available.

budtoh3zo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only the new 6.0L have EGR valves and 1994-1997 PSD dont have wastegates. Hows ur air filter and fuel filters? change your oil recently? No emmison test here eather. Dont they have a sniffer? all older diesels will puff some black smoke. By any chance do you have a chip or programmer in it?

fordfast

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
the truck is bone stock i did put a k&n filter on it

fordfast

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thats what has me puzzled. i do have straight pipe to the back. no cat or muffler. would that cause any black smoke?

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
I forgot to say welcome to SDD!:sweet

How are they testing? I thought diesel test was an "opacity test" where a light is shined through the exhaust thats coming out of the tail pipe. How's he doing that at 40 MPH?:confused:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14