failed emissions

fordfast

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i will set an appointment with ford and see if they can figure something out. if you all have any ideas let me know. rather figure out the problem than pay someone else.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
first,what year is your truck?if a mechanic replaced an EGR valve you dont have a 94-97 powerstroke.2nd where are you located?one of us may be close enough to come over and help you out.and 3rd take that K&N air filter off and throw it away.they arent good for a diesel.get a tymar or make your own tymar filter.and as far as i know a diesel does a 2 speed idle test and arent supposed to go on the rollers.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
My only thought would be the exhaust back pressure valve being partially closed but you say you are getting decent mileage. I don't think anything is wrong. I know when I've had my truck in Denver and higher I can blow thick dark clouds until I'm on top of the turbo, there's less oxygen in the air at altitude. I'm turned up a little though.:D

Is there a sticker under the hood stating that the vehicle had a cat? If so he may have seen that it doesn't anymore and is just coming up with something to say.:dunno Removal of the cat will allow for quicker spool up of the turbo yielding less smoke.

You could find some biodiesel and see if it will pass the test.

fordfast

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
it is an opacity test had four test zero shift 40 mph 50 mph 60 mph. all but the 40mph opacity passed. mph read 53% and it should be under 35%

fordfast

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i live in aurora colorado denver suburb. did not notice any sticker. i did buy the truck in montana. lived there for 3 years. personally i think the truck runs great. i think i can give the tester a few extra bucks to pass the test. colrado uses independent testers for diesel vehicles whereas gas powered are tested by the state

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
I bet it would pass if you ran some biodiesel for the test.

I too thought diesels didn't go on the rollers for opacity tests.

Maybe he's dyslexic and read "53%" instead of "35%".:roflmao

fordfast

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i can try it. i was told not to run bio diesel becuase it would screw up my fuel lines, i.e. plugging fuel filter.

fordfast

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i have the test results in front of me.it does say 53%.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
fordfast said:
i can try it. i was told not to run bio diesel becuase it would screw up my fuel lines, i.e. plugging fuel filter.

Who told you that? Someone in the oil business?:rolleyes: Any diesel '93 and newer can run biodiesel. The bio WILL clean out your fuel system of all the crap left in it from the #2, it's a great solvent. Just keep a spare filter or 2 with you for when the filter gets clogged.:sweet

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14