Fan clutch

mikejones96

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So the fan clutch on my truck is on its way out i think. I can hear it locking up before i think it should. My question is if anyone out there swapped in an electric fan kit. The clutch is $188 at autozone and I've found fan kits for $200. So i figure if its doable without a massive headache i wanna do it.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
So the fan clutch on my truck is on its way out i think. I can hear it locking up before i think it should. My question is if anyone out there swapped in an electric fan kit. The clutch is $188 at autozone and I've found fan kits for $200. So i figure if its doable without a massive headache i wanna do it.

save your money
when they die, they don't lock at all

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
yeah mine actually came on for the first time in years when I was towing my new rig after I cam to a elongated stop.

Its a hot one out there man!

mikejones96

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I've seen those but i'ld rather not spend $600 you know. And i know its the fan clutch cause it'll lock up before its heated up and the computer has the right temp i checked it with a good snap on scan tool.

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Your a/c being on can turn on the fan clutch, without the engine getting hotter. Don't forget about the condenser in front of the radiator that is releasing heat also!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Condensers ?

Not a bad idea to back flush the Condenser & Radiator with air and water, now and again either. Helps with A/C & Engine temps ?

I blow mine out (from the back side) with 60 psi air, to knock off the Big Chunks.. then run a semi stiff brush up & down the fins*, to loosen the smaller stuff.. then back flush the whole works with water. Radiator too.

One of those hose-end thingys for hosing off driveways & sidewalks works Real good, It's small and puts out a Fan spray pattern.. with a bit of force to it.

:dunno

Joe

* a semi stiff brush will also help straighten the fins back out.. from any impacts ?

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
how in the heck to you get to the back of all of it? seems like the fan/fan housing is in the way and there wouldnt be a whole lot of room to get back in there.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14