LeeParsons

High tech redneck
Reaction score
Figure about $3000+ UP FRONT????
1. initial insurance,
2. deposit on the commercial plate,
3. CDL license (REQUIRED!)
4. medical exam,
before you even pull out of the yard with your first trailer.
5. credit card with a sizable amount of credit line available,
in case your truck breaks down and you need to get it fixed on the road.

1. Every transporter company I have talked and/or leased to only required 500K combined liability limits on your vehicle. They pay the cargo and commercial liability insurance. Most do require that you put a deposit to cover the deductible, normaly $1,000.00 but it is taken out over several loads.
2. Transporter palte deposit runs $50.00 to $100.00 depending on the company.
3. CDL? Whatever license isrequired in your home state to haull under 26K for hire. Check with your DMV to find out.
4. DOT pysical $40.00 and drug test another $40.00 to $50.00
5. Only one company that I have delt with requires a credit or debit card but no mention of available credit limit or funds (I'm leased to that one BTW)

My total payout to lease on to this company was $50.00 for the transporter plate, $40.00 for the dug test, $25.00 for a DOT inspection and $45.00 for the DOT Physical. Thats a total of $160.00.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
I went back to their web site. I'm glad to see that they loosened up their requirements so that an average guy could actually get started in this business. BTW it is my understanding that if you haul for hire, you must have a CDL. Exceptions being hauling your own goods to market. Florida requres a CDL for driving for hire. On all other points, I stand corrected.

Last edited:

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's interesting, I have seen about 12 go though here this month alone. 4 this morning at the Flying J. Lot's of older folk doing good deeds I assume.

Here is a nice Powerstroke Driver at out local Walmart.

I know the 4 today really enjoyed out 2 degree weather at the filling station.

Barrett

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
I was reading the other day that the exemptions that many of the state DOTs had made for log books, hours of service, vehicle inspections, and DOT numbers have all expired. Drivers have to go through the scale houses like all other commercial drivers. Florida scale houses near Pensacola have posted signs warning FEMA drivers to enter since October.

Last edited:

LeeParsons

High tech redneck
Reaction score
Yep, exemptions have expired. We now have to log, follow hours of service (???), display signs with ICC numbers and go through the scales. There are still a lot of guys out there running without signs, no logs, no inspections and blowing past the scale, not a good idea now. We had two of our drives got hit earlier this week for signs. They had them but they were on the inside of the window which was tinted. The signs have to be visible from 50 feet. It cost them each $220.00.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Lee, I am hearing that a lot of drivers are getting work from RV DEALERS who are selling to FEMA, I passed two rigs today that were hauling new Coachmen fivers from Central Florida. Are you independent or connected to a broker?

HTRDDSL

HTRDDSL
Reaction score
This is unbelieveable. There are still thousands of people without a place to live there and the various Govt's place all these restrictions on people willing to tow trailers there. Fema should be paying these fees so as to encourage potential drivers to move these trailers for them.Either that or the various states should waive the fees until this disaster is under control and people have some semblance of order back in their lives.:(

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please take this in the manner it is offered....

When you say FEMA should be paying...
you mean to say WE should be paying, correct ?

I for one, am concerned about the solvency of the Federal Govt and the absurd amount of taxes I have to throw away each year, month, day....

just like Social Security, the monies WILL run out....

I hope it's not mine first !!!!!

How many people are you willing to support ?

I have family I would rather support than some 350 pound unwed mother of four in New Orleans...

How about this ?
When the blizzards hit the north a few weeks ago and thousands were without power and services... should the federal government have paid all their bills ?

I think charity should be charity, not a lifelong 9or generation to generation) endowment - is that weird of me ?

And I'm a nice guy :)

Last edited:

HTRDDSL

HTRDDSL
Reaction score
I do agree with what you say to a degree.

But firstly I'm a Canadian so the disaster in New Orleans has only affected me at the gas pumps. But my wife and I are very pro American and are always concerned when something as terrible as this happens to you.

And don't get me wrong. I'm not criticizing anyone. I'm only suggesting that someone should relax the regulations somewhat to allow truckers to get the temporary housing in place for a lot of people who are without homes that had homes in the first place.

I'm also a taxpayer same as you and on a pension. But do we ignore the misfortunes of others like New Orleans because we fear our money might be used to help someone we don't think deserves it. Where do you draw the line on who should be helped and who shouldn't.

There are far too many homeless people in Canada and the US as it is.:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58