FEMA trailers

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Only duallys, huh? How big are these trailers, anyway?

Only duallys? Just how big are these trailers, and what is the tongue weight on them anyway? The towing capacity difference between the single and the dual on my F-250 was only 500 pounds, unless I went to the Tow Boss option, which would give me another 5000 pounds of pulling capacity. I would have needed to place an order, instead of buying off the lot. All of the FEMA trailers they have around the Gulf Coast could be, and are hauled by a Super Duty with a single axle and 3.73 tow package without breaking a sweat. It's their rules, but unless you're pulling a small house, why pay for two more tires and more highway friction. Yeah, I know dually's are cool looking, but I'm practical. The only way I can understand it is if they are putting TWO trailers on a gooseneck trailer and trying to get two for one.

Last edited:

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
rray32539
you asked the same thing i did
WHY on earth dont the rv manufacters put two trailers on a flat bed and deliver them?
even my 38 foot fiver would have fit on a flat bed low boy with room for another smaller towable.
we are still seeing tons everyday here at hwy I65 heading south. towable after towable. a guy on sunday from texas was hitting all the rv dealers near us looking for towables he could take to the fema folks, I geuss the supply is thin. the used lots are empty, wonder what will done next year when most move out of the trailers, will we have a big bon fire?
what a boom for the rv industry.

i cant see florida from here but do miss it

bad_bad_bubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I might need to take a leave from work if this info is good. I got the dually, the gooseneck ball, and I am at least ___ years of age.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was an ad in the Jonesboro AR. paper this pasted Sunday and they are wanting drivers to go to North IN. Pick up trailers and take them to Baton Rouge LA. for $1250.00. Best I could tell that would be about 1800 miles round trip. I paid $259.9 for fuel at the Pilot on I-30 in Benton AR. tonight.
I still have the numbers if anyone wants to call.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
It may sound like sour grapes, but looking into the matter further, and seeing that you have to

a: obtain a CDL
b: pass a medical and drug screen (no problem, but more $$$ and bother)
c: pay $1000-2000 for commercial insurance
d: put down a $1000 deposit on a transporter plate

then of that "$5.00 a mile" get only a $1.35 piece out of which comes fuel, lodging, meals, and maintenance costs, with the rest going to brokers and other middlemen, I can't see doing it. Helping out those in need and breaking even is one thing, going into the poor house is another. Let them find some other fellow without a lick of business sense. The only ones that will make money off of this are the brokers, and they are raping FEMA without the use of vaseline.

They won't take my truck anyway, seems my TRUCK doesn't pass their physical. The hauling companies require eight foot beds. No exceptions. I could understand this if I had a standard cab truck because of center of gravity issues, but with a crew cab? Get real!

Last edited:

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
"and I am at least :eek: years of age"
would be better for me, the officer asked " Boy, just how old are ya?" " worked for Wilbur Wright did you?":roflmao
bad_bad_bubba said:
Well I might need to take a leave from work if this info is good. I got the dually, the gooseneck ball, and I am at least ___ years of age.

NoneYa

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So do we know yet who is pay big bucks for Big Little Trucks to haul? She-at, I will take half that five to haul and be happy as a pig in bacon fat! 1.25 each way is gray-v! Really Gray-v on the return with no wieght. I gets like 18 mpg If I keep the hammer light, and even if I am steppin Large in the yard still pull 16. So again any word yet on the big bucks?

Last edited:

NoneYa

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
By the way I have a friend with a Dodge that wants to know if there is a site like this for him? Anyone Anyone?

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
NoneYa said:
So do we know yet who is pay big bucks for Big Little Trucks to haul? She-at, I will take half that five to haul and be happy as a pig in bacon fat! 1.25 each way is gray-v! Really Gray-v on the return with no wieght. I gets like 18 mpg If I keep the hammer light, and even if I am steppin Large in the yard still pull 16. So again any word yet on the big bucks?
Read the site CLOSELY. Nearly ALL of the haulers DO NOT pay you to deadhead back! What they do is try to find you another load to haul in that area coming the other way. No load, no pay. Figure about $3000+ UP FRONT to pay for the initial insurance, deposit on the commercial plate, CDL license (REQUIRED!) medical exam, before you even pull out of the yard with your first trailer. BTW, they also require a cellular telephone and a credit card with a sizable amount of credit line available, in case your truck breaks down and you need to get it fixed on the road. Does it sound like you will be making money yet?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58