FICM or What?

sticker500

SuperDuty Owner
Reaction score
2006 F-350 - 28K Miles
No Programmer
Turbo Back Duals No Cat

I want to see what everyone thinks, a couple weeks ago I went in a store and left truck locked and running (about 35 outside). Came outside after about 15 minutes and engine was not running. I shut it off, restarted. It ran for about 10 seconds and shut off. No CEL.

Yesterday (50+ degrees) I started truck and let warm up, got back into it and put it in gear and engine shut off. Started and went down the road, was coming up hill and truck bucked real bad and turbo farted and engine died. Looked like glow plug light flashed once. Restarted and proceeded, got about 200ft, and truck kinda bucked and glow plug light (squiggly wire :D)came on and went off, truck stayed running but had no power. Then shut off. It did this for about 2 miles, and then I just called Ford roadside assistance.

They tell me today they are going to replace the FICM and also I am letting fix a 6 month old tiny oil leak (shows a drop on the bell housing). They say have to pull engine to fix. They believe its the bed plate seal but they need to pull it out to verify. They don't lift cab, they said easier to take engine out from front then raise cab?

What do you guys think on these two items?

Thanks,
Scott

powerstroker24

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well the stalling out issue could be a number of things including the ficm. They probably pulled a p0611 and im sure they are on the right track with that. We are seeing alot of ficm failures this winter mostly due to the latest injector heat strategy calibration. Most of them made it through last winter and now we are seeing the affects of the strategy. Its great for the injectors but is showing its face on ficm failures.

As for the oil leak... roll with it. Were you complaining about it? No matter what,they need the work(warranty work is better then no work,especially in slow times like we are having). You would be suprised(the engine might never come out);). Either way you are okay and you have got warranty on your side-no matter what most might think.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
don't worry about it as pw24 said. it doesn't sound like they are steering you in the wrong direction anyway..

sticker500

SuperDuty Owner
Reaction score
Well I let them go ahead. They gave me an 09 F-150 to drive, and the truck is supposed to be done Wednesday, unless I talk to them about doing ARP studs.

He said the only thing I would have to pay is for an oil change because they have to drain the oil, etc. to fix leak. I thought that was funny. That makes no sense why they would expect me to pay for a 99.00 oil change. It won't happen.

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
Get them studs done NOW. It's the best time to do it while the engine is out.

Couldn't agree more! Also $99. is a small price to pay for the amount of work being done. I understand your point and most of us would feel the same way, but right now is not a good time to get them off your good side. They'll probably want additional money to install a.r.p.'s also, if they will even consider doing it at all. Not all dealers are o.k. w/this. If your firm about not paying for the oil change, perhaps offer to pay for just the oil and filter. You don't want them pouring the old oil back in do you? Hope it all works out for you.

sticker500

SuperDuty Owner
Reaction score
What I thought I would do, is give the mechanic a nice tip anyway. But if you went in and had your power steering pump replaced under warranty, would you pay for fluid, or shop supplies?

I understand your point and I wasn't abrasive to them, they did agree to put the studs in, but they wanted 900 to put them in and me supply the parts.

I will just have to take my chances, only 2.5 years and 28K miles so I still have some warranty left.

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
Dealers got wise a long time ago that a lot of us chip/tune/increase h.p. ,and I believe that even though they know that studs are the way to go, they take advantage that a lot of us want to do this. It costs them a little more time because of the multiple tourque sequence,but $900. EXTRA is near extorsion, and totally ridiculous. How did they explain to you that it would be that much more difficult?

sticker500

SuperDuty Owner
Reaction score
The engine is out because of an oil leak in the bed plate seal. So I asked them how much would it be to put the studs in and they told me normally the job calls for 22 hours but since the engine was out they told about 10 or 11 hours or about 900.00

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg