Filling oil filter

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefill almost all of my oil filters, save the ones that sit sideways or with the opening facing down. The one on my 3.0L is at a slight angle so it only gets about 1/2 full.

deeretrac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most engine operators manuals say NOT to prefill because of unfilterd oil but maybe unfiltered oil is better than no oil.

no i dont prefill.

Rob

Reaction score
powerboatr said:
you cant :D Mr. 6.0

but on the 7.3 I always filled it first,
and filled the HPOP resivior to

Damn - sorry to say you messed that one up bad :rolleyes:

Never should have told him . . . Can't you just imagine him out there trying to :roflmao :lmao :lmao

Ron

Reaction score
deeretrac said:
most engine operators manuals say NOT to prefill because of unfilterd oil but maybe unfiltered oil is better than no oil.

no i dont prefill.

Rob

Hmmm - I find that odd since the oil you would use to prefill is the same that your just dumping into the top of the motor anyway - And I would hope that the oil that I buy is about as clean and filtered as it's going to get :dunno

Ron

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
rgdillon said:
Hmmm - I find that odd since the oil you would use to pref ill is the same that your just dumping into the top of the motor anyway - And I would hope that the oil that I buy is about as clean and filtered as it's going to get :dunno

Ron

yepper, I'll take the same oil your pourin on top of the motor unfiltered over a dry metal to metal, contact any day. Take into consideration this, manual can kiss my arse, would you rather have clean fresh, unfiltered oil, or dirty metal fragment filled oil filling your cylinder walls until it runs out. That's a no-brainer, come one guys, take some of that oil your going to pour in unfiltered anyway, until it finds the filter, and save some scabs on the cylinder walls. We don't have to get get all scientific about it, it's common sense.

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
You would be suprised what is in brand new oil!! I know on larger hydraulic systems they reccomend runnin brand new oil through a filter buggy at least once or twice depending on the system, i know we dont do it on vehicals, so in a sense i guess were all dumping "dirty" oil in or engines. Interesting.

Neal

Hans

I'm in Flavor Country
Reaction score
powerboatr said:
you cant :D Mr. 6.0

but on the 7.3 I always filled it first,
and filled the HPOP resivior to

Of course there is no filter to fill with oil, but it is possible to fill the canister itself with oil. Most of the cars in my shop have a simular type of oil filter. Many people swear by filling this canister with oil during an oil change, but the manufacturer doesnt recommend it. Its a tough argument, as most are pertaining to motor oil.... :dunno

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Hans said:
Of course there is no filter to fill with oil, but it is possible to fill the canister itself with oil. Most of the cars in my shop have a simular type of oil filter. Many people swear by filling this canister with oil during an oil change, but the manufacturer doesnt recommend it. Its a tough argument, as most are pertaining to motor oil.... :dunno

are you talking about filling the hole with oil where the oil filter cartridge sits?
umm could be very hard to do on the 6.o, the dran valve operates to the OPEN position if the oil filter is removed, and if you place the filter in the hole, it will still stay open until teh cap is screwed back on almost completey, then it closes the drain valve,, its an odd set up but it makes draining the filter easier.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
powerboatr said:
are you talking about filling the hole with oil where the oil filter cartridge sits?
umm could be very hard to do on the 6.o, the dran valve operates to the OPEN position if the oil filter is removed, and if you place the filter in the hole, it will still stay open until teh cap is screwed back on almost completey, then it closes the drain valve,, its an odd set up but it makes draining the filter easier.

That's the same setup that BMW uses on their 2.5L slant 6 in the 3 & 5 series but then I can't say it really matters because the wear is so infrequent with a factory spec oil change of 15k and oil that still looks new after 10k I'm not too worried.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
There is no easy way to fill the cannister on a 6.0 engine. I just start mine and it comes up in a couple of seconds. No clatter or other noises.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58