Finally installed!

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
I had an attempted breakin in the X a few weeks back. So I went ahead and bought chromed FULL-replacement handles for all of the doors on e-bay($90.00: same cost as a new 1 at the dealer, and just as good of quality if not better). They had aditional brackets opposite of the bolts (factory is 2 bolts on opposite corners, you can breakin with a butter knife) and I bought jimi jammers ($45), a key tumbler ($50-60), had it re-keyed with the factory keys ($22.50), I had a lock actuator going out so bought 1 ($50) and by the time I got around to doing all of this work a second lock actuator was going out so $50 more dollars. I bought 8" lights for the brush guard, the 6" looked too small for that Big X. I installed it all this weekend. Now I have an X that locks and looks a little bit better. The Jimi Jammers are pretty kewl, I wish I could have tested how well they work but it appears that it will discourage them enuff to move on to the next car.-mad

All in all I got to replace everything in my doors I could afford:eek:

If feels good to get it all done, I have been collecting parts and now I had the time to install them:thumbs

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
90 bucks for a factory plastic handle ? i was being quoted 50...
no matter its the EXCURSION handles that have the anti-pry tab...
you can get a set of four (color matched to your truck) for 140
odd bucks...

if youre goin to all this trouble...make sure you install an alarm too !

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
Thanks Bushpilot, I looked at upgrading to a paging alarm ($500 +) and getting a Texas Concealed Handgun License ($100) and a Walther PPK ($700).:eek: (Let the thieves read this and think about it next time they are breaking into trucks):sly. Just kidding about the permit and the gun.:D

-mad I can not believe that Ford doesn't makes it harder to break-in to our trucks, they are their top seller and most stolen in Texas.:doh:

I figure for the extra $$'s I could get all four, I prefer the chrome look to match the rest of the X. But the original one's only had the 2 bolts that you would thread the nuts onto, but it is a 2000. The new one's had a piece of thick metal on the opposite corners so you could not pry the non-bolted corners up. So even with my bad luck, I got lucky. I got the handle, keyhole and lock acuator done at the same time no redundant work. How lucky is that:D

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup...and apparently the only folks that dont know how easy
our trucks are to break into are the new owners !

Apparently the EX's arent broken into as much...because
they assume the anti-pry tab is on ALL excursions.

shop around on the alarm...decide on something do some
research and then look at ebay...the ebay stuff will give
you an idea (imo) of what the alarms cost the dealer...

almost all the alarms are made by DEI (look at the remotes,
they all look the same for a reason)...theyre just branded and
marketed under different names. Directed Electronics - Security & Remote Start | Home Theater | Satellite Radio | Car Audio & Video

in my case i went w/ a Viper 5900 SST, 2 way (paging/confirmation),
remote start, delay shut down/cool down timer, glass break,
hood pin/switch, and siren...installed for 450 !

car toys wanted 525 for the clifford (same feature set) and then
wanted another 80 for the glass break (which comes in the box
w/ everything else), plus 150 bucks for PATS key bypass (which i
and most superduty owners dont ahve) and another 400+ to install
the thing...absolutely insane...

i bought the viper AND replaced the pioneer head unit that was stolen
and STILL spent less than car toys wanted for the ALARM (and installation)
ALONE !

most of the alarm companies wont honor the warrenty if you install it
yourself...AND if the shop installs it some alarm mfg's will pay your
insurance deductible (if youre broken into)

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
almost all the alarms are made by DEI (look at the remotes,
they all look the same for a reason)...

Dale Earnhardt Inc makes car alarms too?

What do the fobs look like? Little Buttwieper cans?

:tounge

Reaction score
i got my 2 way paging remote start from best buy works up to 2 miles away. it was only 380 installed from best buy. it dont have the fancy lcd that the 500 one has but whats the point its gotta little flashy red light.

Deviant Diesel

Sooting 1 jerk @ a time!
Reaction score
Well I can vouch that an alarm w/ a pager still doesn't keep thieves out of your truck. I got broke into Friday night at Pasado's in Frisco. They just grabbed what they could real quick, what I had in my passenger seat, but that flashing blue light didn't seem to detour him at all. So Sat. morning I installed my Jimmi Jammers that I got a month ago, and discovered my '07 has the pry tabs inside which basically are worthless. So don't think that because you have an alarm it won't happen to you, and if you have the pager, keep your keys out of you pockets. I have now been broken into 3 times, totaling over $12,000 in property stolen. I pray that I get my hands on the next little bastard that tries, I have a little built up aggression to share. . .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58