Finally installed!

shadow

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Cheapest and easiest door lock actuator replacement

Time came to replace the driver's side actuator on my 1999 Superduty. I searched the forums and found two options: 1. Replace the failed actuator with an OEM actuator for $50+ (2000 Ford Excursion 4x4 - Door Lock Actuator Installation rebuild the actuator (very complicated). I stumbled on what seems to be the cheapest and easiest fix:

Remove the failed actuator and install a generic actuator inside the door skin (alleelectronics.com $5.50 PLUS $7 SHIPPING.). The generic actuator "bypasses" the locking mechanism and has a rod which you connect to the existing rod that goes from the lock mechanism to the push-pull lock tab (http://www.audiovox.com/manuals/installation/1286367A_IM.pdf). Connect the two wires that plugged into the old actuator and splice them to the 2 wires on the new actuator. Drill 2 holes in the door skin to mount the new actuator. It takes a little adjusting to get it right but it works perfectly.

FYI you can save some time by either removing the old actuator without removing the lock mechanism (There's a tab under the actuator. After you remove the rod that attaches to the yellow tab you can place a flad head screwdriver and lift up the tab and slide (from inside to outside) the old actuator out) OR BETTER YET don't bother removing the old actuator at all. Simply unplug the two-wire going to old actuator and attach to new actuator. In effect the new actuator will do the same thing as if you were in the truck and locking or unlocking the door by pulling or pushing on the door lock.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14