Ford recall 1.8M trucks and SUV - 7.3L CPS!! **Main Discussion thread**

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
The trucks being recalled are F-series Super Duty trucks, E-series vans and Excursion SUVs from model years 1997 through 2003 equipped with 7.3-liter diesel
I see they still don't care about the OBS guys :(

Not all of the trucks and vans form those model years were equipped with the potentially faulty sensors
Which ones were good?

If necessary, Ford will replace the sensor at no cost
Guess they only change it if it is bad.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Article says you will have brakes and PS while going over 30mph.... It is the
30-zero that would be the hard part... Better get it pointed right and hope
it will slow down fast!!

I don't think so.

When the engine quits, the belt stops.. No PS/Brakes. Maybe with an Auto you could leave it in gear (?) but with a 6 speed you'd almost have to kick it outa gear.. then, away you'd go, if going down hill.

Correct me if I'm Wrong :dunno

I'm mainly talking about Brakes

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Thats the biggest bunch of hooey I've ever read! PS and Brakes functional when the engine stops:lmao
(Ford):smack(7.3L PowerStroke CPS victim)
Apparently no one at Ford have had one of these puppies go belly up while on the freeway in tow with the family on board!

Wife was in the taco bell drivethru with her 99 F250 when the CPS decided to crap,she was 8 months along and there was no way she could push that beast out the drive.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bill, when yers crapped out.. did you leave it in "D" and coast off the road ? Any Brakes at all ? Steering ?

Joe

Anyone else have an "Adventure" ? Good or Bad ?

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
thanks a lot Ford..
maybe I should scrounge receipts and see if they'll give me one to keep in the glovebox?

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Bill, when yers crapped out.. did you leave it in "D" and coast off the road ? Any Brakes at all ? Steering ?

Joe

Anyone else have an "Adventure" ? Good or Bad ?
When the 99's CPS when out it was put into neutral and pushed out straight ahead into a parking spot.

I've had it go out in 2 different International trucks equipped with the T444E 7.3L engine.

1st on the freeway with one car on the deck and one on the stinger Westbound 50 just east of Sacramento in Rancho Cordova,it resulted in getting towed to Riverview International.

2nd in Fair Oaks(Sacramento) towing in double again which resulted in being towed to Riverview International.

The Excursion's original CPS went out in summer 2004(I believe) but able to restart and drive home to change out.

JRJ04

Reaction score
when mine went out, i was going on a curve on the hwy 59 in houston at about 60 mph the truck all of a sudden died. I can assure you, it was all armstrong steering from that point on and the brakes worked...but i woudlnt say much more than that...i had to really jam the things. luckily i was able to get it back home and to the dealership since it was still under warranty:hail

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
give me a f'in break...you 7.3 guys have been replacing these forEVER
(or so it seems)...hell most 7.3 folks carry an extra in the glove box !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg