fpr how to?

JRJ04

Reaction score
JMO but anything over say 75 is push'n the envelope.

Unstoppable filter cap O ring leaks... fuel line fitting leaks'n the like. (I've seen 2 filter cases.. split or crack from exsesive Fuel pressures) (80+)

When I first got into this shimming thing, I called around to 5'r 6 IH shops, talked to some Techs, they all said 65/70psi @ idle, 65/68 under load.. is where a 7.3 (444), (like the Power Strokes in the Fords) >should be<.

I go with that. Mine is on the high side of 70 @ idle, 66/69 ish under load.

BUT ? to each his/her own. Yer call.

so all of that being said, if it were your truck and you had 67-68 at idle...would you still shim it?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so all of that being said, if it were your truck and you had 67-68 at idle...would you still shim it?

Yep, I'd try >one< shim'n see what that got me. If it bumped it to 7? but no more than 75, at idle ? I'd go with it for awhile and keep an eye out for leaks'n things.

But again: My truck is set up for Towing.. I don't do WOT.

(Well now.. I do, on occation, take on a Rice'r, or two :innocent;))

:dunno

On Edit ? Remember, we're just "Tweaking" the OEM FPR a bit... for >BETTER< fuel pressure(s).

Last edited:

BDJack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Helpful

BigJoe- This picture what you are talking about on 99-Up?:dunno

Also-is that configuration of copper plug/spring/fitting in the right order, was how it was setup when i took it apart!

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BigJoe- This picture what you are talking about on 99-Up?:dunno

Also-is that configuration of copper plug/spring/fitting in the right order, was how it was setup when i took it apart!

Like Jourdan sez.....Yep, you got it. The shim(s) go under the spring, as you put it back in the copper plug.

Remember... TIGHTEN THE TORX screws EQUALY as you put it back together.. that FPR cover is Pot Metal.. the Ears will snap/crack Very easily.... same applies when you re-attach the return fuel line. Think: POT METAL.

(it's Sunday.. FPR parts'n pieces are hard to find ?:watchout)

Joe

Last edited:

BDJack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks

BigJoe-JR-thanks, will let you know how it goes. Also, how can we get those pictures added to wiki-to help those with 99-up...?:sweet

BDJack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finished

All put back together, no extra parts:innocentthat i know of....runs like a bat outta hell now! I have 7.3 w/5" Exhaust, Garrett ball bearing turbo, aih delete, hpo crossover, etc. Haven't had the chance to check for fuel pressure yet, but will do that first thing tomorrow.

Any ideas on how to hook up permanent fuel gauge?

Thanks for the help guys!:sweet

Side note: JR-what do you think about the DP Tuner? Noticed we have similar setups, and wondering what your experience with install, etc, was?

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All put back together, no extra parts:innocentthat i know of....runs like a bat outta hell now! I have 7.3 w/5" Exhaust, Garrett ball bearing turbo, aih delete, hpo crossover, etc. Haven't had the chance to check for fuel pressure yet, but will do that first thing tomorrow.

Any ideas on how to hook up permanent fuel gauge?

Thanks for the help guys!:sweet

Side note: JR-what do you think about the DP Tuner? Noticed we have similar setups, and wondering what your experience with install, etc, was?

:sweet Glad all went well.

There are kits available to mount a FP gauge under the hood, or in the cab. Some have fabed their own.

I have mine in the cab, on the A pillar.. with a isolator, under the hood.

(About your pictures ? send a PM to one of the SDD Moderators or Admin guyz)

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BigJoe-JR-thanks, will let you know how it goes. Also, how can we get those pictures added to wiki-to help those with 99-up...?:sweet

Not to thread jack, but you got any pictures of your setup? I am interested...;tu

Don't think Pics wouldn't show much so here goes:

Ran a 1/8th" line from the fuel filter housing port, over behind the air filter box, then to a isolater, installed between the D side battery... but on...the raidator support frame.

From there.. back to, and through the firewall.. up to the gauge.

Make sense ??

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14