Friggen Ford and there damn 6 ohhhhhhhhhh

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjstef

Big Sky Country.........
Reaction score
Add to the list of things i hate about the damn truck. 62K on it and i decided to change the fuel filters for the 1st time. Top one was a 30 second deal. The one on the frame rail is a B I T C H !!!!! Took almost 20 minutes turning the damn cap an inch at a time to get it off!! No friggen room to work!! Tried to pull the water drain plug too. Haven't done that since 20K and the damn allen head hole stripped out!! I was using a BRAND NEW 6mm craftsman allen wrench but the friggen plug is aluminum!! Also be warned, The back cover on the air filter don't seal for chit. This is the third 6.0 i have seen with dirt in the intake. I had grease all the way around the seal and still had dirt!!

All in all Ford has lost me as a customer with this truck. None of the 6.0's i have driven are really worth a crap and the 05's have COIL SPRINGS in the 4X4's!!!! We tried out a used 04 Torqueshift 2 weeks ago at work and hooked the bobcat trailer to it WITH the A220 bobcat on it to see how the torqueshift would handle the load. Took it over MacDonald pass and as soon as we started hitting a little grade the damn thing downshifted. It was in TH but didn't seem to make a difference. This is a pass where my 6.0 6 speed will pull the same load over in OD!!!! Time we got to the top the engine was screaming at 3500 rpm in 3rd gear. What a bunch of crap! Anyways we took it back to the stealership and the saleman said "ain't it great?" i said hell no give me a 6 speed, even though they are gutless off the line they will at least pull a grade without revving the chit out of the engine!! He didn't know what to say.....

johndeerefarmer

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So if you don't like Ford, why don't you go buy something else and GET off of this forum?

mjstef

Big Sky Country.........
Reaction score
Hoping i can find a solution to my problems cuz i don't like Chevy or Dodge. This is the most problematic engine Ford has ever had. I had 4 7.3's and never a lick of trouble out of any of them. I know so many people with 6.0 issues it would make your head spin!!!

_CH_

Nautiques Freak
Reaction score
mjstef said:
Add to the list of things i hate about the damn truck. 62K on it and i decided to change the fuel filters for the 1st time. Top one was a 30 second deal. The one on the frame rail is a B I T C H !!!!! Took almost 20 minutes turning the damn cap an inch at a time to get it off!! No friggen room to work!! Tried to pull the water drain plug too. Haven't done that since 20K and the damn allen head hole stripped out!! I was using a BRAND NEW 6mm craftsman allen wrench but the friggen plug is aluminum!! Also be warned, The back cover on the air filter don't seal for chit. This is the third 6.0 i have seen with dirt in the intake. I had grease all the way around the seal and still had dirt!!

All in all Ford has lost me as a customer with this truck. None of the 6.0's i have driven are really worth a crap and the 05's have COIL SPRINGS in the 4X4's!!!! We tried out a used 04 Torqueshift 2 weeks ago at work and hooked the bobcat trailer to it WITH the A220 bobcat on it to see how the torqueshift would handle the load. Took it over MacDonald pass and as soon as we started hitting a little grade the damn thing downshifted. It was in TH but didn't seem to make a difference. This is a pass where my 6.0 6 speed will pull the same load over in OD!!!! Time we got to the top the engine was screaming at 3500 rpm in 3rd gear. What a bunch of crap! Anyways we took it back to the stealership and the saleman said "ain't it great?" i said hell no give me a 6 speed, even though they are gutless off the line they will at least pull a grade without revving the chit out of the engine!! He didn't know what to say.....

you stated part of the problem right there..... youre not supposed to wait till 62 to change the fuel filter. should do it every 15 or so (less on the 7.3s you owned). but yes the frame mounted filter is a real PITA, esp w a cross member and a drive shaft in the way.

draining the HFCM SHOULD be doen every month or so, but def more than every 40k. there is a TSB on the plug stripping and or the inside of the HFCM corroding (part of it was a design flaw and part of it was from people never draining it :p ). and its brass not alum.

hope ya get it all worked out tho - a new flash might help, i have had a few small issues w/ mine but i still love it! :sweet

johnson1781

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
_CH_ said:
you stated part of the problem right there..... youre not supposed to wait till 62 to change the fuel filter. should do it every 15 or so (less on the 7.3s you owned). but yes the frame mounted filter is a real PITA, esp w a cross member and a drive shaft in the way.

draining the HFCM SHOULD be doen every month or so, but def more than every 40k. there is a TSB on the plug stripping and or the inside of the HFCM corroding (part of it was a design flaw and part of it was from people never draining it :p ). and its brass not alum.

hope ya get it all worked out tho - a new flash might help, i have had a few small issues w/ mine but i still love it! :sweet

A little better maintance might help 50,000 miles only trouble have to clean egr valve which is B.S.

mjstef

Big Sky Country.........
Reaction score
johnson1781 said:
A little better maintance might help 50,000 miles only trouble have to clean egr valve which is B.S.

Filters were not even dirty. It has ran like this since new. Most of my fuel goes through a bed tank which has a filter on it though.I buy 100 gallons at a time and usually at flying J All my 7.3s went 75-80K on a fuel filter and all had 200K plus when i sold them with no issues. I don't think this one will make 200K as i'll probably get hit pulling out in traffic! As far as flashes it has been flashed 7 times, The last time was Dec 04 when they replaced the EGR cooler which was leaking anti-freeze like a pig..............
:cussing:

_CH_

Nautiques Freak
Reaction score
yup mine leaked coolant - fixed now, got a new flash last time i was in (went w/out for a while, but i trust my advisor and he SWORE this one was good) which by the way was to get the EGR replaced - POS device - and ill be darn'ed but i think its actually a decent flash!

heck the way youre talking it cant be any worse than what you have right?

CHPMustang

Reaction score
MJ have you looked into the Dahl 100 filter setup for your 6.0L? That'll keep you away from the the stock dual filter changing mess for way longer intervals :sweet

I try to find better alternative methods maintenance wise for the 6.0's

Bill

ATV1LI

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
IT's funny every time I hear of a new 6.0 problem I run it by my dealer since I have 2& they keep assuring me that this is a great engine in an awesome truck, which I have to agree w/ them. I had an 03 6.0 X & it ran & performed like a champ!!! My 05 dauly w/ the 6.0 is the best truck I have ever owned, period. I hope my luke keeps up & I didn't gincks myself for saying that. My wife just got her new X & we just took on a 500 mile trip & a few people who were w/ us could not believe how comfortable this truck was or how well it it performed overall. A couple w/ us are small car enviro nuts who were anti anything big till they got a good ride in the X. I don't think they will go out & buy one, but I don't think they will be so quick to trash it either. Sometimes if a dealer can not fix it right you might want to try another dealer, it might be worth a shot.

mjstef

Big Sky Country.........
Reaction score
ATV1LI said:
Sometimes if a dealer can not fix it right you might want to try another dealer, it might be worth a shot.

Been there done that. 5 visits in Florida, 2 in Wisconsin and 1 in Montana since i bought it in May 03. The dealer here hates the 6.0's They sell more PSDS than any dealer in Montana. I was told by a tech that they are seeing 2-3X as many 6.0's with issues than they ever did with 7.3's I had 4 7.3's and NEVER had an issue with any of them. Guess this is just payback time for me!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58