Front End Woes

dpantazis

Reaction score
buy the real ones. suck it up. you own a heavy duty truck.

yeah, there are cheaper ones... they usually made by some unknown company, say made in china and cost like $100 and they stay tight for about as long as it takes to mount them and then lower the truck onto the ground.

powerstroke shop has them for about $300 a side, but local napa has them for around the same price. shop around.

JRJ04

Reaction score
Thank you. That is the exact brutal honesty I was looking for! I just wanted to see if someone else other than ford had them. Napa ones...along the same quality as ford?

How big of a job is this to install them?

localboarding

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
speaking of front end woes- i had a 4 inch lift put on my super duty and started noticing things going on with the front end. since then ive had u joints, ball joints, inner tie rod end, and bushings replaced. nothing seems to be working. the truck drives like crap. when i hit a sharp bump on a paved road the steering wheel jerks from side to side, and a poppping noise comes out of the drivers side front wheel. when i am in four wheel it bucks going around corners. i have been to two different mechanics, reputable ones too, and they've made it better but havent fixed it. anybody have any answers or know somebody in or around denver co who is an expert on super duty front ends? HELP

Bad Night

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they work good just leave them alone . You will have them out so you could clean them up but I have only replaced hubs once and that was at 150 k on my 2000 and because I could barley turn them .

JRJ04

Reaction score
alright, thanks.

anyone got a ford part number or know which one i would need from napa?

dpantazis

Reaction score
jr- talk to the counter guy. he will be able to identify them.

EDIT: hubs- you mean the 4x auto hubs? you should not need to replace those. you might be confusing terms. the bearings are assembled with a "hub" that bolts on to the knuckle.

you NEED to go through the search function and read up on changing them. there might even be a wiki page. chances are if you are thinking its bearings, it probably is.

you are not getting it- the bearings are SEALED and PERMANENTLY lubricated. they are NOT user serviceable. don't bitch because ford was one of the last ones to go to unit bearings and that you are now learning about them. there is the minor needle bearing in the middle and you could throw some lube on there, but it probably wont make a difference. check guzzle's page.

if you are in there and ripping things apart, you should check your ball joints and tie rod ends. now would be the time to change them too.

good luck

dp

JRJ04

Reaction score
EDIT: hubs- you mean the 4x auto hubs? you should not need to replace those. you might be confusing terms. the bearings are assembled with a "hub" that bolts on to the knuckle.

dp

that right there cleared it up. I didnt realized it was assembled with a "hub" completely unrelated to the 4x4 hub. mine are completely manual btw...no esof.

Either way, after looking at it, and thinking about how many miles are on my truck, I'm considering just biting the bullet and getting this from powerstrokeshop...

Your Premiere Source for Ford Truck Parts and Accessories

I think thats probably about the best deal im gonna find.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
if you don't need it, don't spend the money is what I say..
you need a wheelbearing/hub assembly..
buy ONE.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14