Front End Woes

JRJ04

Reaction score
I hear ya JL...

well i need both sides. How good of a test is jacking up the front end etc and shaking the wheel/jacking up the wheel? Im referring to the one Dave mentioned earlier in the post.

reason i was thinking of doing that is because my truck wanders all over the place anyways.

On top of all of that, whats nice about the powerstrokeshop kit is that it comes with everything i need. no need to go searching for pieces here and there.

Maybe I'll try the test dave mentioned?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have had one on the shelf for about a year now. Don't need it today, but tomorrow is a different story. And I will need it on a Sunday morning...

Dave :)

dpantazis

Reaction score
jr-

X2 on do only what you HAVE to do. i did my right side a year ago, then the left this winter.

if you are not sure about what needs to be done, consider taking it to a place like the dealer or a suspension shop and have them diagnose it for a 'clunk', and pay them the $75 and play dumb and broke to take the truck home.

JRJ04

Reaction score
point taken. I called my mech. up today and told him what was going on. I'm taking it in friday evening and he'll tackle it saturday.

I appreciate the voices of reason when it comes to replacing only what i need to! I know my mech will only do what needs to be done...he told me...dont buy the whole kit cause not all of it is necessairly bad.

Thanks...I'll let you know what I find.

JRJ04

Reaction score
Update

Well...

Had it at the shop. Driver's side wheel bearing was shot, and i had a bad tie rod that was causing loose steering.

$700 later...and all is well.

Only issue I have now is that my steering wheel is off (going straight down the road its turned to the right). It goes straight when i let go of it, but just turned to the right. My mech said he couldnt get it just right and to just take it to an alignment shop to get it adjusted.

Can I do this myself?

Thanks again for all of your help?

dpantazis

Reaction score
jr- that is a decent price for both installed.
you could adjust the linkage by trial and error. there is a barrel adjusted on the DS of the linkage. dp

JRJ04

Reaction score
yea i really like my mech.

385 for the bearing and 74 for the tie rod. rest was labor and uncle sam's cut.

now on this adjustment...do i need to jack the truck up to do this?

The tie rod that was replaced was the one more towards the front of the truck if that makes sense. I think all this one does is adjusts the steering wheel...doesnt mess with the actual alignment. Am I right? From what i can tell, it looks like there are 2 threaded clamps that are bolted in place. Do you just loosen them and move them one direction or another? Can I screw anything up?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
yea i really like my mech.

385 for the bearing and 74 for the tie rod. rest was labor and uncle sam's cut.

now on this adjustment...do i need to jack the truck up to do this?

The tie rod that was replaced was the one more towards the front of the truck if that makes sense. I think all this one does is adjusts the steering wheel...doesnt mess with the actual alignment. Am I right? From what i can tell, it looks like there are 2 threaded clamps that are bolted in place. Do you just loosen them and move them one direction or another? Can I screw anything up?

actually, no.

it does take a little thought, though..
as to what way the steering wheel is off and in what direction, vs. whether or not to lengthen or shorten the drag link...

JRJ04

Reaction score
so in other words...

if ive never dealt with it before, probably oughtta leave it up to the pros?

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
I always take mine to the alignment shop. they do such a great job. its always spot on. and having my tires for over 70K now, they show no signs of odd wear.

ALSO for the race car, I go to Goodyear where you pay like 30 bucks more than the standard alignment and they give you a lifetime adjustments!!! its great for me since I am always changing up my suspension on the race car. after I do that I just tow it back and they align it up for free again!!! lots of my competitors do it themselves, and no you dont jack the car/tuck up you just have to measure the distance of the front of the front tires and the back of the front tires and try to get them as equal as possible. there is a lot of diy info on the internet on how it is done. but its not worth it for me.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14