fs2500 bypass oil filter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been looking into the bypass oil filter. The company claims a oil change of 40000 miles or better. I didnt know if anyone has any feed back about it.

Thanks,
Tony

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bypass oil filter

I think the bypass oil filter system is probably the best mod you can do on a 7.3 or 6.0 due to the oil hydraulic fuel injector system. Anything you can do to ensure a clean flow of oil to the injectors will be the best thing for them. As for oil change interval, there are lots of stories, look at the amsoil website. Those people who extend their drain interval use an oil analysis service to tell them how their oil is doing.

It is up to you to decide whether you want to use the bypass filter and normal oil change intervals, or extended ones with oil analysis. I use the bypass filter and synthetic oil with more normal oil change intervals. I do find it odd that there are people out there who will blow a wad on big tires, tuners, turbos, etc, but consider synthetic oil too expensive. These engines are very hard on oil, due to the hypop fuel system and egr system. You get dirty oil, and you got injection trouble. You get oil viscosity issues, you got injection trouble. Proper viscosity (5W40) in the winter, using a synthetic oil, and a bypass filter, gets you clean, stable oil that the doesn't give the injectors fits. In my humble opinion, the hypop system, egr, and turbo all give the oil hell. Synthetic handles low and high temperatures significantly better than dino. Synthetic will won't coke up your turbo bearings like dino will, will flow better at cold temps, and won't break down under high pressure and temperature like dino will.

Nothing will kill a 6.0 faster than dirty fuel/ oil filters, and dirty old oil.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a bypass oil filter and what kind. I have looked at the fs2500 and the amsoil kit. looking for some imput on both systems.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
I think the FS 2500 is way over priced. THere is another brand that uses the same type of filter element that is only around 250$. I can't remember for certain but I think it may be Oilguard. I researched them all a long time ago and determined that the FS was not a contender given the price. I also got some of the truth behind the research they claim was done by an outside research company. Not exactly everything they claim. Not false necessarily but not what they would have you believe.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks I was going to order their system but i think i will do my research first.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks I was going to order their system but i think i will do my research first.

:dunno I've had a >Premo Oil Refiner< on my 7.3 for 100K of the 145K on the clock. A bit pricey ? Yes. But I know I've gotten my ROI.. a couple'a times over.. in money saved, on Oil (Rotella T syn) Changes.

But it's All About the Extra oil protection, as I'm pulling a 12K load... with an Almost 10 year old truck... down the road, I was after.

Money well Spent, IMO. ;tu

Joe

MJ Synthetics

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dunno I've had a >Premo Oil Refiner< on my 7.3 for 100K of the 145K on the clock. A bit pricey ? Yes. But I know I've gotten my ROI.. a couple'a times over.. in money saved, on Oil (Rotella T syn) Changes.

But it's All About the Extra oil protection, as I'm pulling a 12K load... with an Almost 10 year old truck... down the road, I was after.

Money well Spent, IMO. ;tu

Joe

Joe yes I bet you have got your ROI. How often are you changing your oil?

MJ Synthetics

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Bypass Considerations

Here are a few things to consider:

The FS2500 system for the 7.3 is 429.00 and the one with stainless lines is 499.00. It’s a single filter mount that uses both the OEM filter and the FS 2500 giving you two filters for oil filtration. It uses a proprietary replacement filter not available anywhere but from their dealers or them. The replacement filter is 26.95 recommended to be changed every 10k.

The Amsoil Dual Bypass BMK26 for the 7.3 retails for 372.00 and is under 290.00 if you’re an Amsoil preferred customer. It is a dual filter mount replacing the OEM filter with an adaptor that feeds the used oil from the sump to the dual head unit and feed the filtered oil back to the filter plate to be pumped directly into the engine for use. It is designed so that other filters can be used with it in case of emergency such as you were 4 wheeling and damaged one of the filters. You could go to an auto parts store and get a filter to match up to continue your trip.

The filters retail are 23.20 for the full flow and 40.25 for the larger bypass filter. They are approx 25% cheaper if you are a Preferred customer with Amsoil. Amsoil says to change the bypass every other full flow change up to 60k miles when used in conjunction with their synthetic oils.

With either system or another brand bypass you need to decide when to change your filters and oil. I always recommend that you use Used Oil Analysis (UOA) as your guide beyond 15k miles.

If you want to rely on oil analysis to tell you what is going to be your oil change interval (OCI) it will cost you a little money the first time to set your OCI but after that you only do UOA to monitor your oil and engine.

I recommend you do this the first time after installation of the unit you decide on. New oil and bypass unit installed and UOA at 1000 to 1500 miles; this will establish your base line.
Then at 5k, 10k, 15k, 20k, 25k, 27k, 30k. Change the full flow filter after taking your sample at 15k. Now is when you decide if 30k is your number or do you want to go longer or shorter. If you want to go longer OCI then continue with UOA every 5k miles until it says time to changer the oil. Then back your OCI down 5k-7500 miles to give you a good cushion and make that point your oil change interval. Then make a plan to change your filters in between for maximum protection and efficiency. If you changed your oil at 5k with dino now you will change 1 filter at double that mileage for far less than half the price of the oil change.

After you have set your OCI you should do UOA at the same time you do a full flow filter change or every 10k-15k. Rule of thumb is to change the full flow filter at the half way point of your total OCI and both filters at the oil change. If you extend out to 40k, 50k or more I would recommend changing both filters at the half way point and full flows at half that. For instance: I know people that go 50k and change the full flow at 12.5k and 37.5k and both filters at 25k and the 50k at the oil change. They do UOA at each filter change to monitor both oil and engine conditions.

MJ

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58