Fuel Mileage............

Dysfunctional

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
60 mph will get ya ran off the roads out here. ;)

HA! even at 70 while towing they still try... I guess these idiots see a trailer, then think slow... so I start :cussing: and start stompin on it, lay down some smoke screen... oh wait wrong thread :D

I've been getting 15-16 un-loaded this winter (daily warm-up)
got high 18's un-loaded all last summer
get about 12 towing just the rock crawler (about 6-7k with the trailer)
and 10.5 with the cabover and pulling the rock crawler.

I think I'm doing ok :D

forddeerediesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Must be nice getting such good fuel milage. I am getting tired of 11 mpg. My neighbor just bought a 04 cummins and he is getting around 20..... Makes me want to park the stroker and buy a ram. Does anyone know if wider tires or lifting would cause a significant drop in mpg??? I have read about o-rings going bad on the injectors, what are some of the symptoms of that. Could that cause low mpg??? Just wondering.:confused:

FULL FORCE

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Must be nice getting such good fuel milage. I am getting tired of 11 mpg. My neighbor just bought a 04 cummins and he is getting around 20..... Makes me want to park the stroker and buy a ram. Does anyone know if wider tires or lifting would cause a significant drop in mpg??? I have read about o-rings going bad on the injectors, what are some of the symptoms of that. Could that cause low mpg??? Just wondering.:confused:

I would have to think the big tires and lift would not help in mileage, lots of extra drag, I have a 99 4X4 ext cab and average 14.5 so far on winter fuel empty, I have a 4" exhaust and diablo 3 pos chip, my friend with a 2 wd and same mods gets 18 ish on winter fuel, I assume the taller 4X4 truck has alot more drag then a 2 wd.
I did get 12.5 last week pulling my 24 foot enclosed trailer at about 8000 lbs. I also did 75 mph, I be my mileage will be better if I decide to do 65-70, I hate going slow!

XTrmXJ

NACHHOOOOOOO!!!!
Reaction score
Ok heres a therory that Ive been pondering.. When I bought my truck a year ago my rear tires were at half tread, I drove from Indiana with the trailer, quad, jeep and another trailer (4x8) sandwiched inbetween the trailer and the jeep with the jeep loaded down and got 14mpg with CC and AC at 75.. After driving all summer and putting 20k+ miles on my truck Ive been only getting 15-16 unloaded on the high ways and my tires are just about bald.. Now betwwen new tires and my bald tires there is about 1-1.5 inches differance in height, (old stock to new stock sizes) That little difference will help to drop my RPMs alittle and gain more speed (compared to RPMs) which in turn may give me an extra 2mpg per gallon, and can bring me up to 17-18 or better MPG.. More surface (hieght, full tread) on tires = drop Rpms on the motor= better MPG..

I have been keeping track of my miliage and I will give a report since I will be getting new tires later today (stock size of course).. 6 of them to boot

Now Big tires (bigger than stock) can hurt on MPG because your making your motor work harder to get the tires turning, producing higher RPMs on take off and stop and go traffic.. On the highway it may help as long as its only 1 size larger than stock but you still sacrafice somthing for a gain.. Wider tires tend to cause a drag effect because your having to move alot more air and it creates Vortex's.. The added height of the vehical causes the same affect and you might as well kiss Fuel miliage away.... You can counter act these forces by changing the gears ratios and eliminate the strain of the motor for the over sized tires but you will still have the large drag effect in resistance, IE drag

Spectre

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Man yer all lucky. We get 10mpg.. Though that's my wife driving it 99% of the time. If I drive it on the freeways I've gotten about 14mpg.

Doesn't help I just replied to a thread that's over a year old.. I'm retarted. :)

Last edited:

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Added somemore figures to the spread sheet.

LOL.........at least my average milage is consistant. :dunno

Tbar

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58