Fuel Mileage............

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
60 mph will get ya ran off the roads out here. ;)

:dunno FWIW.. I've slowed to 62 MPH (1800 RPM), as much as possible, empty & towing. It's amazed me how many other drivers are doing the same. I hardly pass anyone anymore. 4+ bucks a gallon maybe ?

MY main reason for 62 is to see if useing the Torque curve makes any dif. So far I'm seeing lower EGT's (60/70*) and about a 1.5 MPG increase, Empty & Towing. Truck seems to "WORK" better, overall, too.

:dunno

Limishowman3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
450 mile trip to lubbock

On a full tank, I was getting around 530 miles when driving from my house near New Braunfels to Lubbock, TX. Let's see 530/35.5 (since i nvr let if run dry) thats about 14.9-15mpg. and thats sometimes avg 85mph for 130miles. And the rest at 80mph. I was getting 15.5mpg for a while when going 70-80mph. Only mods I have made to my truck is bedliner, K&N Cold Air Intake, and A superchip set to Performance aka no more than 4000lbs of towing. Was getting 14mpg before mods. I have a 99 old F350 7.3L V8 4x4 8ft long bed Supercab. Does anyone know of any other mods I can do to the truck to get better mpg.

Also today at the pump, I guy had a f250 shortbed supercab, which i thought he had a diesel, but he also said v6? with a bed cover. Says he gets 18-20 on highway and said his son has the same type of truck but with $5000 worth of mods, and get 26mpg on the highway. I wanted to keep talking but he had to leave. Any advice? I may want to trade my f350 in for a f250. Still need for towing cattle, hay, and boat though.

treyloco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want to put 4" exhaust, zoodad mod and delete your AIH. This will help to lower your egt's a little and let your engine breath better, which in turn you may see a small benefit in mpg's.

Butch Cassidy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
21 -maybe 22 mpg - 50 mph, cruise on, a/c off, no weight in truck, even took off the tail gate. Mileage is good, ride is boring @ 50 mph.

Butch Cassidy

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
21 -maybe 22 mpg - 50 mph, cruise on, a/c off, no weight in truck, even took off the tail gate. Mileage is good, ride is boring @ 50 mph.

Butch Cassidy

you keep thinking $4.90/ gallon :dizzy $4.90/ gallon :dizzy $4.90/ gallon :dizzy $4.90/ gallon :dizzy $4.90/ gallon :dizzy

and 50mph will seem like you're hauling mail

Doghead

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
It was an expensive way to do it but when I replaced my transmission and converter I picked up 60miles per tank. That put me right around 18 mpg.

Limishowman3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Deleting your AIH?

What do you mean by deleting your AIH? Like what is it there for and what does it do/ look like and what will happen if I delete it?

jto89

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 f350 7.3 supercab short bed 4x4 all stock i have seen a constant 15-16mpgs city and around 20-22 on the highway with the cruise set at 70 and the a/c on

treyloco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The AIH is your air intake heater, it is a heating element in your intake that helps heat incoming air while you crank your truck on cold days. And its also obstructs air going into your engine. There is a wiki article and pics on this site. The only thing you may encounter when doing this is ses light but dfuser makes a delete for this problem and they also sell a plug that you can hook your boost gauge to.

Limishowman3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So wont I have problems starting my truck in the winter then. Ill be up in Lubbock where its at or below freezing for most of winter. I can already tell it takes a while for my truck to start up there.

Damn all stock and ur 03 shortbed gets that type of mileage. I wish my dad wouldve bought then instead of buying the 04.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58