Gasoline in fuel!!! ...WTF!?!?!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
If the Scan tool will not connect, I would think about the PCM (Program Control Module) or the computer as it is known.

Dave

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
Jess-

You have not 100% clarified that it was gasoline and just not a bad batch of diesel. Gasoline is pretty much obvious, is that what is in your tank, done further testing on it??? Could it not be just a sad batch of diesel? Perhaps stick some type of 'stick' into your tank and upon pulling it out check the smell - gas v diesel is pretty simple. Other than that i don't know what you could do. The scanner won't tell you that but it would tell you of other problems - but if it won't connect to the ODB port?!?! - bent pins?!?!
The ext. cab - is that 30 gallons - perhaps dropping the tank and draining and refilling w/ diesel would be one place to start...If it is not gas, at least you would be putting in 'fresh' diesel from another location...:sweet

Eubee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jess-

You have not 100% clarified that it was gasoline and just not a bad batch of diesel. Gasoline is pretty much obvious, is that what is in your tank, done further testing on it???

My reciept shows I took on 17.9 gallons durring that fuel-up, meaning there was still about 11.1 gallons of diesel in the tank (about 62% of 'potential' gasoline to 38% diesel)
I took four samples of fuels in four separate glass jars.
Sample #1 was known straight 87 octane gasoline
Sample #2 was known straight on-road diesel (from a known good source)
Sample #3 was a sample from the drain on my truck's fuel/water separator
Sample #4 was a near 50/50 mix of the known gasoline and known diesel

Visual:
Sample #3 was closest in color to sample #2.
Sample #3 was far from sample #1 in color.
Sample #3 had more of a 'yellow' tint to it than sample #2.
Sample #4 was between sample #1 and sample #3 in color.
When all four samples were swirled around inside their jars with lids on (think: tornado in a soda pop bottle), sample #2 was the only one to still have bubbles on the surface after one minute of no movement

Smell:
Sample #1 - obvious
Sample #2 - obvious
Sample #3 - smelled a lot like diesel, but to me had a faint smell of gasoline
Sample #4 - smelled prominently like gasoline.

I have been searching for some kind of test that would prove if it were mixed or not, but I have been unsucessful as of yet.

...but if it won't connect to the ODB port?!?! - bent pins?!?!

They all look straight to me. If I remember correctly, it said something along the lines of 'can not connect to controller ...'.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jess.. An API* [Flash Test] will tell you what you need to know.

In a past life, I usta be in the Fuel Bidness... IIRC, #2 Diesel Fuel is typically assigned a Flash Point of 100, to 160 degrees Fahrenheit... from a known sample.. when heated from ambient temperatures, the vapors should NOT flash at anything >less than< 100*. (As a reference ?..We would not accept #2 Diesel deliveries with an API flash of more than.... 150*, or less than...130* ??)

If you have a Fuel Terminal, or a Distributor near-by (?) they may run an API "Flash" of your samples for ya..

* API: American Petroleum Institute ( has a scale of standards & specs for fuel products)

Joe

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
If the scanner won't communicate, ya got's other problems bro..

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eubee, Did ya go back to the Station where you bought the fuel yet, to see if they've had any >other< complaints ?????

Eubee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eubee, Did ya go back to the Station where you bought the fuel yet, to see if they've had any >other< complaints ?????

I did not physically go there, but I did call and talk to the owner (or that is who he claimed to be). Whoever it actually was claimed that there were no other complaints yet. He took my contact info and the details of the fill-up and said he would let me know if anymore people start complaining. I do not know this 'owner', so I am taking all of what he said with a grain of salt.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58