Gasoline in fuel!!! ...WTF!?!?!

ponyexpress94

Diesel Power Junkie
Reaction score
I don't think I would fill the fuel filter bowl on the engine with diesel fuel. Just because you clean out a container to use for pouring in clean fuel doesn't mean the fuel doesn't have stuff suspended in it. When the fuel filter cap is tight it places a downward pressure on the filter effectively sealing it to the filter base and preventing contaminants from bypassing the filter even when the fuel is under pressure. Pouring fuel directly into the housing bypasses your filter (the cap is loose and therefore no seal between filter housing inlet and filter housing outlet) and increases the risk of sending unfiltered fuel to you injectors. Just my :2c

Every time you open the filter housing to fill it or check you allow air to re-enter the system. If you are getting fuel with the filter lid loose, tighten it back down and cycle the key to the "wait to start position" for 30-45 seconds and then turn the key off and repeat this AT LEAST 6 times or more. This allows the fuel pump to adequately pressurize the fuel system and recirculate any trapped air back to the tank. I believe this is outlined in the owners manual under the section that discusses "running out of fuel."

Hope this helps and good luck.

Last edited:

Eubee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... pouring in clean fuel doesn't mean the fuel doesn't have stuff suspended in it. ...

Makes a good point. I have not done this yet. I think I may have problems somewhere between the filter bowl and the injectors (maybe a blocked supply line/injector). I think the 'stalk' in my filter bowl may be broken, because it does not look like a couple others I have seen in pictures. Others have an o-ring near the top of it, mine does not. ...possibly allowing contaminents to pass by?

...cycle the key to the "wait to start position" for 30-45 seconds and then turn the key off and repeat this AT LEAST 6 times or more. ...

I have, several times.

I am going to try the shopvac idea here is just a couple minutes.

Thanx for the ideas.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58