Got my DIY kit today

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
johndeerebones said:
Most anyone I know that owns a car hualing truck has some mechanical abilities and usually a good dose of GEARHEAD, I know Rich has that:D :burnit :burnit

if you only knew a 1/4 of what i know,you be rich.try replaceing a front cover on a 3116 CAT engine without knowing what youre doing besides what the pictures show :eek: i wont lie i was winging it,armpit deep in a cat motor with no clue of what i was doing except that i had to remove this to get to that.it ran when i got done and is still running perfect now a month later :D

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
johndeerebones said:
Most anyone I know that owns a car hualing truck has some mechanical abilities and usually a good dose of GEARHEAD, I know Rich has that:D :burnit :burnit

MAN, cant nobody take a good clean ribbing anymore?

just funnin with rich, he knows it.

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
94f450sd said:
if you only knew a 1/4 of what i know,you be rich.try replaceing a front cover on a 3116 CAT engine without knowing what youre doing besides what the pictures show :eek: i wont lie i was winging it,armpit deep in a cat motor with no clue of what i was doing except that i had to remove this to get to that.it ran when i got done and is still running perfect now a month later :D

That's what good mechanics are made of, being able to conquer the unknown. The best mechanics I know don't know everything, but they can fix anything...

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Good luck on the injector project. About the only advise I can give is be sure you replace that broken bench vice with a quality unit. If you buy a cheap vise you will get a cheap vise and it will also break..

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
Crumm said:
Good luck on the injector project. About the only advise I can give is be sure you replace that broken bench vice with a quality unit. If you buy a cheap vise you will get a cheap vise and it will also break..

boy isn't that the truth, cheap vises are junk, good ones are spendy, even the middle of the line ones are usually junk too :dunno

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
UPDATE

Got her done guys, not a tough mod at all and was uneventful, almost got boring even. Eight injectors gets repetitous :) Put here back together and it runs better than it ever has since I owned it even without the super tuner, and I thought it ran good. With the super tuner in I can get on top of the tires at will in any gear but fifth. Has been raining here since yesterday morning, so I can't take off hard engouh to check for an oil pressure CEL without anailating the tires. I can keep my temps in check pretty easy empty, loaded is probably a different matter, as I can fog two lanes w/ smoke pretty easily even with the 1705. Now I just need a custom burned chip. I can hit 30 psi boost real easy, I'm sure more can be had with enough load and enough road. Haven't slipped the clutch yet, but I bet I can as soon as it stops raining and the pavement dries.

My plungers and barrels looked great, and all my poppets had .0035" of seating clearance so they hardly have any wear at all. I had three broken nozzle springs and the rest were worn pretty good on their seating surfaces. I'm gonna attribute my two year long search for start up smoke, lumpy idle and very slight miss to these. Time will only tell. My injectors were spotless except for the small amount of charcoal on the outside of the nozzles. Only had to use one can of brake and parts cleaner for the whole set. Definitely worth the time and money. My uvc harnesses, vc gaskets, and glow plugs all ohmed out perfect and none were burnt. By far the best mod I've done, thing runs like it just rolled off the line.:burnit :burnit

Also, forgot to mention. Jim's kit instructions and picture CD were great, but its a shame he probably spent so much time making both. After the first injector you don't need them :)

Last edited:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
WooHoo,,,,, glad to hear it went well for you!!

It amazes me, when I first started hanging around these forums five or so years ago, getting performance injectors was a nearly $3000 proposotion, now the average joe (not that your an idiot) is building these things in his own garge for a couple hundred dollars.

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
WooHoo,,,,, glad to hear it went well for you!!

It amazes me, when I first started hanging around these forums five or so years ago, getting performance injectors was a nearly $3000 proposotion, now the average joe (not that your an idiot) is building these things in his own garge for a couple hundred dollars.

Yep, my hat's off to Jim for doing the kits:sweet . Probably has some of his friends in the injector business/monopoly mad tho. They are very easy to work on. A bit sensitive to dirt of course, but anyone who could rebuild a trans could do a set on their own. Anyone who could rebuild a carb could do injectors with help like Jim provides. Nothing to be afraid of like so many in the injector biz have led folks to believe

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14