Heater Delamination?

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
f100cleveland said:
Bio diesel is mandated in Minnesota.

I've heard that. Good for them.
B20 isn't it?

Edit: looks like only B2, at least it's a start... 2% nationwide would be a measurable reduction in oil imports.

Last edited:

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Response

"I saw those. It looks like maybe water contamination, but I've never seen
one look like that. I don't know what to tell you to do.
Bob"

:confused: :confused:
I don't really like that response. I think it's a cop out since I told him about the water situation. He knew I was going to run bio and recommended the heated version for that reason. I don't see how water could cause what's going on with the element.

I replied asking what kind of glue they use and how water would do that. I also told him that if it's not bio compatible that Baldwin needs to do something since blends will be mandated in the future. I attached a zoomed picture of on of the several places where pieces of the glue are falling off, they are sticky like they are being broken down. I still don't see how water contamination could do this.:dunno

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
antonio
you said you left it on once for 8 hrs?? does it have a thermostat switch to cut off the element at a predetermined temp???
and correct me if I am wrong, but when you had the weird batch of bad fuel, was the filer bowl heater in good shape?

aslo the pic lookes like the glue was boiling , possibly reacted with hot water, I would be inclined to think that if.....
the heater was rated to 212 F, i couldnt find a good source to say JUst how hot it would get the fuel, but i think 212 is probably out of its range, and you would have had other indications if its getting that hot :eek:
just something else to think about,

reflect back to our phone call about the other response:(

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Robert,

The switch is on/off, no thermostat. The day it was left on, the ambient temps never got out of the teens. I put my hand on the outside of the housing and it was barely warm, no way it was 212 inside. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think the questionable spots on the bowl were there after the glycerin probs.

The heaters never been left on when I've had the water problems so I don't think it was hot water.

From his latest response I'm on my own. He didn't answer my glue question and just gave me Baldwin's #. He's sold units to veggie users and some conversion manufacturers, didn't say anything about B100 users. Not sure if he knows there's a difference between veggie oil and bio.:dunno

Calling Baldwin now.-popcorn

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Baldwin doesn't warranty their products for bio usage.-mad

They have only tested up to B20 and have had no probs. Anything higher they don't recommend. They are in the process of R&D. The heater is outsourced and uses an epoxy adhesive. Engineer told me to worry about the filter element too, as it may be degraded by the B100. The rubber seals on the fliter and the gasket that seals the filter housing needs to be changed to Viton which would take mass production that they are not seeing a need for yet.:rolleyes: He also referred me to biodiesel.org to see if they have any solutions.:(

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
roosterdiesel said:
He also referred me to biodiesel.org to see if they have any solutions.:(

I think that place is very familiar :D

I dont want to laugh at their response but :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao
typical

I am going to call west marine and see what they recommend for b100, you may be on to a whole new road of adventure

vitron seals , now I could be wrong, but these seals should have been there already, they have been on the market for quite some time,
maybe you need to get a filter designed for DFM (diesel fuel marine, or crude )

what is the veggie stroke fella using,

one more item... He didnt by chance give a specification on the epoxy did he? 3m makes about four million variations of their adhesives, I am sure we could find one that would work, or maybe an external heat pad that is not expsed to the fuel...
this wil make for a nice monday of research...:D :D

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
I agree on the viton, but they are rubber. No spec on the epoxy. Pretty much passed the buck.

I don't really have time for any research today, I'm already late for work as it is.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
antonio
good news
poke here
according to these guys
this filter and all of their DFM/diesel fuel filters are compatible with Bio as along as the bio fuel meets current ASTM specifications, that includes gaskets and O-rings
so DITCH the dahl and no more problems :D
i would ask for a refund :D :cool:

time to get out the VISA/AMEX/MC

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14