help with mpg

brapp

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i am gettign roughly 17-18mph on average out of a tank, i run about 65-70 on highway, and not to heavy on the right foot when in town, what can i do to make a little better mpg's , and also what could i do as far as reliability? and by the way its a 2003 f250 sd crew cab long bed fx4 with no mods.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I would consider 17-18 mpg pretty good for an average. There was a poll run here late last year on this subject.

SEE HERE

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
I also think that isn't too bad of mileage, when I got my truck, it got 15 mpg hwy unloaded, changed the rear end to 3:55 and am getting 18+/- mpg. on Tow setting on the BDP chip.

Reaction score
You are doing pretty good believe it or not. Keep in mind that trucks - any truck - is about as areodynamic as a brick.

But a few things - some common that people overlook all the time -

Tires - if your intent is mileage then stay with "road" tires and keep them inflated properly.

Consider a cover for your bed if you don't have one.

Fuel - what is the cetane rating? If your dealer is average it's around 40. The 6.0 needs 45+ (it's in your manual) - so you may need to add a booster. And remember that "winter" blends are not going to give you the same mpg as summer blend due to the lower BTU rating.

Lighten your load when possible - got stuff in the bed that you don't need daily? Get rid of it.

Oil - in addition to keeping it clean - a 5/30 (syn) helps your mpg's over say a 15/40.

When possible use your cruise control. I already know that my truck can get better mpg without me touching the pedal.

And if none of these work - learn to draft. When your out on the road find the nearest semi and tuck right up under his rear end. :thumbs I'm just joking :D - I know some of you who would actually try it :eek:

Anyway - good luck with it - and welcome to SDD :sweet

Ron

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think 17 or 18 is great for running 65 and 70 MPH in one of these trucks. Sure wish that mine would pull down mileage like that running solo with some city driving.
Welcome to SSD, you have a great looking truck, just let any of us know when and how much you want to spend on mods. We Can Help.:sweet :sweet :roflmao

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Opening up the intake/exhaust (do a search for what guys on here have done for those mods) will help a bit since the engine can breath easier and consequently work less for the same power output.

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
rgdillon said:
Fuel - what is the cetane rating? If your dealer is average it's around 40. The 6.0 needs 45+ (it's in your manual) - so you may need to add a booster. And remember that "winter" blends are not going to give you the same mpg as summer blend due to the lower BTU rating.

Is this listed on the pump? I've obviously never paid attention to it nor was I aware the 6.0 needed 45+. Bad PSD owner, bad. :eek:

Reaction score
TexasExcursion said:
Is this listed on the pump? I've obviously never paid attention to it nor was I aware the 6.0 needed 45+. Bad PSD owner, bad. :eek:

Yep - suppose to be listed on the pump. The highest you can get to 50 the happier your motor will be. (50 is the cut off point - anything higher than that and it will not matter).

Dodge's on the other hand only require 40 cetane as listed in their manual.

Sometimes I find it humorous to listen to guys complain about the performance when they are running only 40- cetane. That's like taking a high performance gasser that requires a high octane and only running it on 87 or lower. :dunno

Now see - when you woke up this morning you didn't think you'd learn anything today did you - :D :D

Ron

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It is never listed that I have seen here in Calif. It maybe listed in your state, but don't count on it. Just get some Stanadyne and add it to every tank.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58