help with mpg

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Only thing I have seen at the pump lately is where to sign over your title to buy a full fill up.

Saftman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just made a round trip from Lafayette, La. to /schulenberg, Tx. this last weekend. Truck is a '06 F250 FX4, short bed, 4 doors, tool box. Weighs 8000# with full tank and me in it. Got 19.3 mpg driving at 73 mph @ about 1900 to 1950 rpm. Truck has 6700 miles on it. Stock everything. Will change to Schaeffers 9000 at next oil change and see if it improves any. :sweet

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Please remember that these are trucks and not VW rabbits. They will never get that kind of mileage. 19.3 is good for a new truck. Your mileage will go up a bit as time goes on. You will not see your best mileage until something like 30,000 to 40,000 miles. It takes that long to break in.

Dave

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saftman said:
I just made a round trip from Lafayette, La. :sweet

Ah, my old stomping grounds :)

went to college der, and ended up back there for work with Chart House in the 80's !!!

Loved the Oil Capital when I was there !!!

Lived out just north of Acadian Mall,
spent many a nite and weekend out @ Pelican Park,
drank many a beer at The Pub....

ah, passed a gewd time der, sha !!!:D

brapp

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
well my truck issitting on 45,000 now, and would this explain why the mpg is what it is, and i use cruise control constantly.unless driving in cities. i wanna go with slightly bigger tires mabey 33's i am not sure yet. but the other thign is mines a 4 door ong bed, i have achived these numbers with a off road diesel tank 115gal usualy 3/4 full and a toolbox with stuff for work, so i feel really good about these numbers, how well does b/d work in the 6.0's and in a pinch can i run red fuel in my 6.0. can you help me someone. and will a chip or programer and exaust and intake help with mpg?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
brapp said:
in a pinch can i run red fuel in my 6.0.

The engine will run with red fuel in it, yes.

brapp said:
and will a chip or programer and exaust and intake help with mpg?

Exhaust and intake will aid the engine in breathing easier so it will gain efficiency and the chip or programmer if tuned properly can give added efficiency as well. So the answer there is yes also, as long as you stick to your current driving habits you should see gains.

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
The only thing i've seen lately while filling up the truck is the 50-70 bucks it cost me! :eek (worth every penny)

If you're really worried, take your tailgate off when you aren't using it and just throw it in the bed, get an intake, exhaust, and a programmer/chip

I have a 4.5" lift and I get 17 city because of the intake, exhaust and my programmer

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best, most consistent improvement in MPG is.......

your right foot ! :) keep the rpms under 2000 and the accelerationa nd deceleration rate to the least you can stand and that's about it...

Skweeker

Resident Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I get 17mpg with cruise set at approximately 68mph and the tach is sitting around 1800rpm.

brapp

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
well, i am not 100% sure on red fuel yet, i have been told by a few other people that it will hurt my truck, , i know that its diffrent than the 7.3's and i know u can run red fuel in the old international motors. but i would like a little more info on the red fuel issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58