help with mpg

Invader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stuff

Hypothetically, I know of a truck with 40,000 miles of red fuel:thumbs
with an additive that raises the cetane 5 points, hypothetically of course.
no issues.....hypothetically.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting point about the cetane number, I too need spanked... Bad PSD owner, Bad... Uh, Anyway... does anyone know what the average cetane is? I know that's kinda stupid question, but I think I've seen it listed on 3 pumps out of about 20 I've used so far. Exxon seems to run the best in it, but it's normally 10-15 cents more a gallon, so is it worth it? Dunno.

What's the deal with Jet A or Jet B and Kerosene? Partial mix?

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
rgdillon said:
Fuel - what is the cetane rating? If your dealer is average it's around 40. The 6.0 needs 45+ (it's in your manual) - so you may need to add a booster. And remember that "winter" blends are not going to give you the same mpg as summer blend due to the lower BTU rating.

I've been checking the pumps during fillups (and even doing drive-by's just to check :eek: ) and none of the pumps in MA or CT have a cetane rating listed. I just ordered some Stanadyne so hopefully that'll help.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
whatabudro said:
Only thing I have seen at the pump lately is where to sign over your title to buy a full fill up.
Not quite that bad for me, but Hugo Chavez's oil company and I have a very close working relationship. I buy his diesel fuel and my truck drinks it. He spends the money on "spreading the revolution" :guns:

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Red fuel = higher sulfur content. Not really that much of an issue if used occasionally. It's more of a legal thing, heavy fines and back taxes if your tank is dipped and red fuel is found in the tank. The feds have been known to calculate the taxes going back to zero odometer. And they want the money NOW, bub! We folks in the South were running red for about a month and a half after Katrina, but the federal government just threw the book out the window for everyone during that time frame.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our neighboring ambulance and fire service runs red, and has been since they introduced it. They haven't had a problem yet.

jhess

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I've used red for about 5000 miles now. Not even a drop in MPG. Its red dye for tax purposes. big fine if D.O.T. gets you.

brapp

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
but you have a 7.3 i am talking about the 6.0

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saxonburgh VFD has an 04 F350 for a brush truck and three ambulances anywhere from 03 to present. They are, (and we are too) tax exempt.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58