Holy moley turbo/compressor surge!

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AGH!

On my way home tonight I experienced (what I believe) is turbo or compressor surge.

I had my SD tuned to max (DP F5, +120 HP) and accelerated from a stoplight.

I didn't get to note the boost level at the time of the incident, and I don't recall the noise (if any) from the turbo, but here's what happened, as I remember:

-instantly stopped accelerating
-for about 3 seconds I had NO throttle response
-all dash lights came on
-wait to start light stayed lit for 3-4 seconds
-the engine didn't DIE because I didn't have to restart it

After about 5 seconds completely off the throttle, I pressed the pedal again and it acted like nothing was wrong for the whole rest of the way home.

I got nervous. :eek: So I did what I always do: google the symptoms and try to find a forum. :D

Based on what I found, this sounds like turbo/compressor surge. Seems like there is a lot of esoteric (haha big word), big worded and technical discussions about this occurrence. :dunno

Can anyone break it down to a simple-minded country boy? :dizzy

PS. My turbo was upgraded, but I don't have any info on my wastegate.

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
doesn't sound like turbo surge to me. that just occurs when your boost gauge starts fluttering and you hear the turbo cutting out. you had some sort of electrical issue....maybe a safety parameter the tuner has in it? sounds to me like something got overloaded and told your pcm to shut her down for a sec.

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the injectors are stock. Same as HPOP.

PS. I've hit the accelerator pretty hard without this happening before.

??

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CPS...camshaft position sensor? Oh boy. I know nothing about this part, but it already sounds expensive :dunno

Any way i can verify that?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CPS...camshaft position sensor? Oh boy. I know nothing about this part, but it already sounds expensive :dunno

Any way i can verify that?

No way to verify it good~bad. Just replace it

There's a Recall on the CPS. You should be able to get it replaced from a Dealer.. free, if not, it's less than $50.00.. and you can DIY.. there's a WIKI on how to DIY.

Joe

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so, there's no way to tell if it's bad. Does this sound like it could be my problem?

What are the symptoms of the CPS going bad? I'd rather not go to Ford without knowing what I need/want, because (from what I've heard) these guys here aren't exactly known for their technical expertise in diesels.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so, there's no way to tell if it's bad. Does this sound like it could be my problem?

To me ? No.

[/QUOTE]What are the symptoms of the CPS going bad? I'd rather not go to Ford without knowing what I need/want, because (from what I've heard) these guys here aren't exactly known for their technical expertise in diesels.[/QUOTE]

A bad (or going bad) CPS will normally cause intermittent, complete engine shutdown, and a long cranking to restart.

Call yer Dealer/Parts and ask for the part # for a 99, 7.3 Cam Position Sensor.
Then go to the Dealer/Parts and ask for it by part #. :dunno

By what you described.. I'm thinking you may have rev'd it against the PCM controlled parameter Limits... The turbo dumped boost (CEL) (No Surge).. when you do that.. all kinds of crazy stuff can happen... especially with a Chip installed.

If, in fact, thats what happened ? You should probably Scan the PCM to see what, if any, Codes may have been set. (IMO)

Last edited:

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a general diagnostic tool from the auto parts store to check if there were any codes stored...none.

Should I use a higher level scan tool?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14