Holy moley turbo/compressor surge!

mark6403av

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was a short in what they call V-ref. I would agree the Cam sensor. At the dealer it shouldn't cost more then $40 for the sensor. A 10 mm wrench or socket passenger side front. The only thing else I can think of is the EBP sensor. That can be disconnected and the truck will go into fault mode.

Last edited:

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the advice. I'm not exactly sure what v-ref is, but I'll research it as well as the other things you mentioned.

Hopefully I can pinpoint where this problem is originating. I dont know bout ya'll, but to me:

poor performance = something not working properly = if it hasn't broke, it will shortly.

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I used a general diagnostic tool from the auto parts store to check if there were any codes stored...none.

Should I use a higher level scan tool?

Auto Zone scan tools are strictly generic.
Problem is, there are about three times more codes that are manufacturer specific.
Yes, you need a professional grade scan tool.

but it sounds like your Cam Position Sensor is bad (and needs to be spanked)

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the advice. I'm not exactly sure what v-ref is, but I'll research it as well as the other things you mentioned.

Hopefully I can pinpoint where this problem is originating. I dont know bout ya'll, but to me:

poor performance = something not working properly = if it hasn't broke, it will shortly.

the V-Ref is the 5 volt reference voltage that the PCM sends out to all the sensors... you'll see a code for it if it shorted to ground.

dpantazis

Reaction score
i disagree on the CPS causing those symptoms by itself.

despite all those mods, you truck is going to have a tough time keeping up with the programing at 120hp with stock injectors and programing. sound to me like your truck stumbled pretty hard when you floored it. get the pcm scanned for codes.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CPS...camshaft position sensor? Oh boy. I know nothing about this part, but it already sounds expensive :dunno

Any way i can verify that?

It takes about 5min and $30 and you can have a new cps installed. It wouldn't hurt to try anyways because if it isn't the fix then at least you have a spare.

mark6403av

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just rememberd they had a Ford recall on the sensor. I had mine done last year. It wouldn't hurt to take the VIN number to Ford and see if there is any open recalls on the truck. V-ref is a 5 volt ref back to the PCM. Off the top of my head there is 5 sensors that have it. Cam is the big one and I agree if it's not that then you have a extra. Very rare but all wires run through the harness if V-Ref shorts to ground it will do it also. Start simple you will see a KAM code and most likely nothing else because the PCM reset when it shorted. Thats why you saw the glow plug light on it's like turning the key off and back on fast.

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i disagree on the cps causing those symptoms by itself.

Despite all those mods, you truck is going to have a tough time keeping up with the programing at 120hp with stock injectors and programing. Sound to me like your truck stumbled pretty hard when you floored it. Get the pcm scanned for codes.

x2

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to check recalls you can just google "ford truck recalls" and click on one of the links and you can type in your VIN and it will tell you.

JRJ04

Reaction score
I think you truck is trying to tell you its being pushed too hard and something bad is going to happen if you continue to do so...:dunno

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14