Question Hot Shot's Secret Stiction Eliminator

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had some stiction that got worse over time. Started out just in the morning when the engine wasnt fully warmed and only when the tranny went into OD. It progressively got worse and worse over time. I went switched from Royal Purple 10W40 to Rotella T5 10W30 (at the recommendation of Scott at Mass Diesel), did the blue spring mod and used two bottles of Rev X. Problem solved instantly and stay solved for two years until I traded it in last month. I was told you dont need the Rev X everytime but I used it every oil change.

BoKnows

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I think I can shed some light on the difference between hot the Hot Shot's works, as opposed to Rev-x (seeing as I work for Hot Shot's.) The Stiction Eliminator works on the principle of cleaning the injector's spool valves (where the stiction builds up) with a high strength detergent. The Rev-x is mainly just a hyper lube, so it will go and lubricate the stiction, without removing it. The Stiction Eliminator doesn't show up as anything special on an oil analysis, because we are using detergents that are not in standard oil. The only thing you will see is some molybdenum.
On the topic of "full synthetic" oil, every oil you see on the shelf that is a full synthetic is group III with some group IV blended in. If you are getting a group IV oil, you have to special order it, and it will be pretty pricey (group IV ain't cheap). The Hot Shot's Secret Blue Diamond is a pure group IV, but then again, it is $52/gallon.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I think I can shed some light on the difference between hot the Hot Shot's works, as opposed to Rev-x (seeing as I work for Hot Shot's.) The Stiction Eliminator works on the principle of cleaning the injector's spool valves (where the stiction builds up) with a high strength detergent. The Rev-x is mainly just a hyper lube, so it will go and lubricate the stiction, without removing it. The Stiction Eliminator doesn't show up as anything special on an oil analysis, because we are using detergents that are not in standard oil. The only thing you will see is some molybdenum.
On the topic of "full synthetic" oil, every oil you see on the shelf that is a full synthetic is group III with some group IV blended in. If you are getting a group IV oil, you have to special order it, and it will be pretty pricey (group IV ain't cheap). The Hot Shot's Secret Blue Diamond is a pure group IV, but then again, it is $52/gallon.
Sounds like the same Bo I hear on The Trucking Podcast from time to time. I enjoy your interviews with Buck. Tell us about any advantages running the hot shot secret in a old school obs 7.3 powerstroke.

BoKnows

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The one and only! Buck is a good guy for sure. When Ford made the transition from the 7.3 IDI to the 7.3 Powerstroke, the entire injection system changed. The injection system on a 1994 Powerstroke works the exact way that it does up to a 2007 6.0 Powerstroke. Some of the specific components are different, but they function under the same principles. This means we have a lot of pressure (4k psi) and a lot of heat (with certain "hot spots" reaching 600 degrees or so.) 7.3 Powerstroke injectors get the same stiction buildup we see in the 6.0's. Because the 7.3 used a poppet style valve instead of a spool valve, it isn't *as big* of an issue on the older trucks, but it is still a problem. It is always good to clean out the injectors, and the most noticeable improvement is always cold start performance.
So is it as much of a dire need to clean out stiction on a 7.3? Probably not.
Does it help to clean stiction out of a 7.3? You bet it does.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Well guess I will give the hot shot a try. Sometimes on startup she doesn't sound quite right so maybe she does have a little stiction.

Bo while we got you on here I have a question about your Frantz Filter Bypass System. I purchased my 1996 7.3 Powestroke brand new. 20 years later she has a whopping 94K on the odometer. That figures out to 4,700 miles a year but in the early days she probably got more and now probably around 3,000 a year. I change the oil with Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-40 turbo diesel truck once a year. I hear the big advantage with bypass filtration is extended intervals but I am already a year between changes which isn't really recommended. To go 30K I would be looking at 10 years. Would there be much advantage in the extra filtration when my oil gets dropped after only 3-5k anyway?

Edit: I just checked my records and it looks as though I have only been changing the powerstroke every two years but still only around 4,000 miles. That's probably not good.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
LOL, you don't drive a lot do you....
Actually I do a little bit just not all the miles are in the OBS. I have a 2015 Superduty that I purchased 19 months ago that has 10,000 on it, that's over 500 a month. I have a 1994 Explorer with 180,000 on the clock that I drive sometimes though it hasn't left the driveway in a couple months. Add in the 400 miles a month the OBS has averaged over the last 20 years and I become average. To top it off I also put about 120,000 miles a year on a peterbilt. In summary I am thinking about all I do is drive.

I guess Bo disappeared ??

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
His profile says he was on "a moment ago." But that's from Tapatalk, actual profile may say different.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64