How long do you idle in cold weather??

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Sometimes I've got to run several errands in which I've got the choice of shutting the truck down and restarting again after a few minutes (and repeating again and again) or just let it idle. I'm concerned about battery life and giving the alternator enough time to recharge the batteries. So, which is better in cold weather:

Let the truck idle for five minutes?

--or--

Shut it down and start it again in a few minutes?

-popcorn

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
i would let her run, bump up teh seic and use the alarm to lock out the ignition, go by groceries or beer :D thats what we do at rest areas to
cab stays comfortable for teh pup

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I almost never let my truck run at low idle, no matter what the ambient temp is. It's either at high idle (1500+ rpm) with the DTLS engaged (so I can pull the key), low idle for long enough to cool off, or shut down.

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
This may be dumb, but when i warm up my truck in the mornings it goes into high idle

what does high idle do? it just sounds like somebody's touching the gas pedal, so please can anybody tell me if its good or bad?

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
2005Diesel said:
This may be dumb, but when i warm up my truck in the mornings it goes into high idle

what does high idle do? it just sounds like somebody's touching the gas pedal, so please can anybody tell me if its good or bad?
its part of the warm up ecm stratergy
it reads oil pressure and TEMP and coolant temp and decides to ramp up the idle after 2-3 minutes of no break pedal or throttle actuation.
and if your out somewhere and its cold, and your sitting idle and the oil temps drops off it will ramp up again

but we in the 05 and 06's have the built in aic, (SEIC and BCP)
so if your stopped and need some ac flow , hit the seic and bam you got 1200 rpms

ryaneverk2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Albin said:
Except the high idle mod won't work for us 6 speed manny tranny types. :sorry
Of course it will!! Just have to have the parking break set, tranny in neutral, etc...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14