How long do you idle in cold weather??

Mobeydick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TexasExcursion said:
Sometimes I've got to run several errands in which I've got the choice of shutting the truck down and restarting again after a few minutes (and repeating again and again) or just let it idle. I'm concerned about battery life and giving the alternator enough time to recharge the batteries. So, which is better in cold weather:

Let the truck idle for five minutes?

--or--

Shut it down and start it again in a few minutes?

-popcorn

Just like in the hot weather: NEVER!

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mobeydick said:
Just like in the hot weather: NEVER!

Unless I'm going to be somewhere more than an hour or so, I try not to shut down. That's why I like my DTLS . I can set it and pull the key, but the truck stays running and if anyone hits the brake pedal (to put it in gear), the ignition shuts off and they're going nowhere. It was $220 VERY well spent, IMO...:thumbs

Rex-a-FORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TexasExcursion said:
Let the truck idle for five minutes?

--or--

Shut it down and start it again in a few minutes?

-popcorn

I use my remote start to let the truck idle. I have it setup so it will idle the truck for about 12 minutes and shut it down. By using the remote start I don't have to worry if I get tied up in a store or something. The remote start will automatically turn the truck off after 12 minutes.

Love that remote start!:thumbs

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Rex-a-FORD said:
I use my remote start to let the truck idle. I have it setup so it will idle the truck for about 12 minutes and shut it down. By using the remote start I don't have to worry if I get tied up in a store or something. The remote start will automatically turn the truck off after 12 minutes.

Love that remote start!:thumbs

You've probably got the same one I've got--is it the Ford aftermarket one? Mine idles for 12 minutes also.:thumbs

s d mills

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few minutes after fast idle kicks in. I start it, do the guage check, then a walkaround (lights, tires, general lookover), clear the snow/ice from all the glass and get my gear loaded. I cruise at 35-30 mph until I hit the first stop sign about 5 miles down the road and it's up to operating temp by then.

It's currently 24F and not plugged up. I don't plug up unless it's in the low teens and the only time it was ever sluggish starting unplugged (took about 10 secs instead of the usual 2) was at -9F up in Wisconsin overnight. It has never romped but I plug it up now because I hate having to keep switching hands between the wheel and an armpit because of a frozen steering wheel....takes forever to warm up the cab in the teens or lower.

Truck's kind of "stiff" at the beginning like me with my arthritis....takes a a little while to get the stiffness out.:D

HCAbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crumm said:
Many of the trucks up on the North slope idle all winter long. 1300 rpm, set-it and forget it :)
Your correct, I know alot of guys when I lived up there, and if it was gonna be cold, they would make sure they have a full tank of fuel, and let 'er idle all night!

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
Wow, I've never even heard of this stuff before, let it idle all night long? wow

I hate starting up on a colder (30's) morning and have the smoke fly everywhere

Makes me feel like im hurting her LoL

Norcal250

Gimp member
Reaction score
Ok I'm gonna sound like an idiot here, but why is it bad to let em idle at a low rpm? so if I'm gonna let my PSD idle for a few its better to kick the fast idle switch on?:dunno

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Norcal250 said:
why is it bad to let em idle at a low rpm?
They do what is called "wet stack". It is caused basically by there not being enough heat to burn the fuel so it runs out the exhaust. Your engine basically gets loaded up with raw fuel and carbons up too. If you are only stopped for a couple of minutes idling is fine but for any extended time the idle should be elevated.

2005Diesel said:
I hate starting up on a colder (30's) morning and have the smoke fly everywhere. Makes me feel like im hurting her
Try it at -50 and see what you feel ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14