How long do you idle in cold weather??

rsjohnsn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have been concerned about this because I had an AIC from my 7.3 days. I installed this in my truck and it didn't work correctly so I wasn't able to use it. I do alot of traveling up North where it is cold and I sleep in the truck so yes I have Idled all night long and so have others in our terminal yard. Now after hearing all the horror stories I was terrified to see the results of my oil annalysis but boy was I suprised. Here is a copy of the results. I even went a whole week where the engine was never cut off and that was within this annalysis. I'm not saying that it is safe to idle for a long period without damage but in my case it didn't show anything.

Scott

Last edited:

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
rsjohnsn said:
Here is a copy of the results.
Scott

Looks like Blackstone is confused on what motor you have! Narrative says 7.3, info up top says 6.0!!:dunno At least the numbers look good!

Based on your input I think I'm fine letting her idle for awhile instead of starting her up and shutting down all the time on short trips. Thanks.:sweet

Reaction score
rsjohnsn said:
Ok, I have been concerned about this because I had an AIC from my 7.3 days. I installed this in my truck and it didn't work correctly. . . .

Scott

Toss that AIC and just do the AIC mod - works perfect 100%

All it will cost you is a switch and a feet or two of wire.

Ron

rsjohnsn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called them about the 6.0 vs 7.3 thing and they said that they had me with the 6.0 but just did a typo in the info section. And yes, I am going to do the mod today. The AIC works great on dads 7.3 but isn't correct on the 6.0's. Now, once I get the mod to work then I will use it all the time with exception of 5-10 minutes of idle time. Anything longer I will be using it.

Scott

Reaction score
rsjohnsn said:
I called them about the 6.0 vs 7.3 thing and they said that they had me with the 6.0 but just did a typo in the info section. And yes, I am going to do the mod today. The AIC works great on dads 7.3 but isn't correct on the 6.0's. Now, once I get the mod to work then I will use it all the time with exception of 5-10 minutes of idle time. Anything longer I will be using it.

Scott

You know - I use mine all the time - have the switch mounted on my console so it's and easy reach and it's just habit now to hit it.

Ron

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on my third diesel and have never worried about idle time...
and have had remote starters on every one of them and used it to idle for long periods....

It's up to you what you want to do, but in MY case, long idle times have never been an issue and my blackstone's have been fine....

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
JohnBoyToo said:
on my third diesel and have never worried about idle time...
and have had remote starters on every one of them and used it to idle for long periods....

It's up to you what you want to do, but in MY case, long idle times have never been an issue and my blackstone's have been fine....

What part of the country are you in?

dmftoy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the AIC on mine so I just set the parking brake and go inside. (If it's 5 minutes or less) If I've got some shopping to do then I just shut her down when she's cool enough.

Just my .02.

Regards,
Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14