How to DIY

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I try to be a DIY person but I often find myself over my head when I get in. So I thought I would get all the info I need here first. Did some searches and couldn't find what I was looking for.

I ordered a set of pyro, tranny temp, boost gauges and they arrived today. I want to get a stock reading before I install my DIY intake, and 3" Downpipe I got from Diesel Performance Parts which arrives later this week and 4" Magnaflow I already have sitting in my garage.

Is there a predrilled spot in my Automatic Transmission for the temp sender or am I going to have to do some drilling? Is there a DIY yourself for this if it needs to be tapped and where...also where is it if I already have a threaded port?

Boost gauge...Same thing on my 83 300TD it took me a couple minutes to screw it into the already tapped manifold, but what about on the PSD and where. Are there any DIY pictures out here that I just couldn't find. I'm hoping I don't have to tap anywhere in here either. I don't even have a tap and die set...might need to get one of those?

Pryometer.....So I've heard both reccomendations about where to place it but for me I assume we should stick to the easier of the two....Should I just drill a whole in the DP near the flange or do something different. Also not sure what hardware came with the kit, but I hope it has what I need to screw that in.

Thank you guys...I'm kinda a dummy when it comes to these things and just want to make sure I do it right and can do it myself.

I'm sure I'll be asking questions about how to cram that DP in there soon as I get some good readings...and installing the tranny cooler.

Ohh by the way that conicle filter is huge...can't wait to get it in there.

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perfect. Glad someone did that. If I can find a tap and die set tomorrow I will be all over that. Well that and some paint. They didn't make the paint anymore so I need to find something very close in town I guess.

So if you drill a 11/32 whole you can use a 3/8 tap correct. Is that kinda a standard to drill a 32 below what you are going to tap.

Also it reccomends using the MAP....hmmmmm I will have to do a search tomorrow :) not really sure where that port he said I can thread onto is.

Last edited:

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:sweet :sweet :sweet Thanks for the write up Stoker

I just installled the same 3 gauges and used that write up. It took me about 2.5 hrs to install. Had to quinch my thirst. Just to let you know. Check the size of your Thermocouple for the size. Good luck

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Also it reccomends using the MAP....hmmmmm I will have to do a search tomorrow :) not really sure where that port he said I can thread onto is.

The upper red arrow is pointing to the MAP sensor, the lower red arrow is pointing to the rubber hose you want to "TEE" into for your boost pressure.

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome.:thanks

Thank you for that. I need to see what fittings I actually have so I can make a run to the parts store and get that tee and clamps. If all goes well I can make this a long night and have it up and running. If it took you 2.5 hours it will take me 4.5 :)...I am a really slow worker and when it comes to wiring electrical Help me god.

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So yeah,

I swear I want to give up on Mechanics. I never have the tools I need yet Im always buying them.

Went to get a tap and die set, just small one and after I got home I didn't read it close enough but not all the taps were NPT. Darn it :eek:

So then I checked my thermocouple and it is a 1/2 inch soo go to look for a drill bit. I just have a really small set and I have a 1/2 bit, but I need a 1/32 smaller so I can tap it. Of course I don't have that.

SO I drilled the pipe with the 3/8 drill bit before I checked the size...DOPE and now have a nice hole and nice sound...good thing I can drive my other car.

Basically the only good thing I got done was painting the pillar pod.

Looks like I'm going to have to drive an hour north to raleigh and hit up the Northern so I can find an affordable 100+ piece drill set that will have sizes I need and a tap set that contains NPT as well as NC. Heck I will spend as much on some tools as I would the guages.

Went to ask a shop if they could do it and they said it would take about 2-3 hours labor....I was like wow....are you a rip off and a liar...then I asked about where they would reccomend putting it just to see and they said the exhaust becuase then if one side of my engine is running lean or rich I wouldnt have a bad reading....I just had to laugh say thank you and walk away.....:sly

You have any input....spend some money get more tools and go broke...or find a better shop and pay them to do the 15 minute tap job.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Just stick with it. You will get there and have the drills. I have been doing this for many years and NOW i have most of the tools. You should see me and plumbing, I make 6 trips to the hardware store just to get everything I need for a 10 minute job. :(

Dave

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, Thanks DaveBen,

Yea on base they have autocenters where we can do the work ourselves but the number they had was wrong and when I went to find it the street did not exist sooooo....I have thought it is a better idea to have the tools anyway. I'll be sure to update tomorrow when I get it done. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Geeze,

As I said it takes me longer to do things but I'm almost there. After messing around for 4 hours trying to get everything together I'm still at a loss for the Thermocouple. Everything is installed except for that.

I don't know why they would make something bigger than there are relative tools out there to do the job but you never know. Has anyone had to tap larger than 1/2 NPT. It just absolutely will not go in. I've been practicing on another piece of steel luckly not my manifold but it is just a no go. I do have that just smaller than 3/8 hole though and man does that sound bad.

So I guess the question is am I just messing it up somehow, or do they make a fitting at homedepot that will fit my thermocouple becuase I just simply don't have the tools to do it.

Ohh and I did go buy a real drill set and tap and die set at harbor frieght...I love that place......sooooo much cheaper.

Thanks guys.

EDIT: So basically I don't have the tools after all that. I used the cool little tool to measure and I need 5/8 - 18....I only have up to 1/2 -20....Killing me here. Not sure where in town besides fastenall that wants 400 bucks for a 8 piece set carries one...Any ideas

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14