How to DIY

Russ

Found On Russ' Drive
Reaction score
OK I gonna toss out what I do know. NPT(National Pipe Thread) Is the name of a series of taps. Pipe taps are numbered for the size of hole in the pipe they are used for. Example: So say you have a 1/2 pipe for running water. The hole in the pipe is 1/2 inch. The outside diameter of the tap has to be larger than 1/2" to accommodate the wall thickness of the pipe. The second number on the tap is the number of thread per inch on the tap. So A 1/2-14 NPT is use for threading a hole to screw a 1/2 pipe into. OK Now here comes the hard part. Tap Drill sizes: The size hole you drill in a piece that you are going to tap, has to be the correct size so you leave just the right amount of metal to be removed with the tap so you have threads in the hole. If you drill the hole to small, you wont get the tap started. If you drill the hole too large you wont have any metal left for the threads that will be cut with the tap. The correct "tap size drill" for a 1/2-14 NPT is 23/32" or 0.718" (less than 3/4") . With out being there I think you have a 1/4-18NPT fitting on your pyro. a 1/4-18NPT uses a 7/16(0.4375) tap size drill. HERE >>>>Here is an online chart for tap drill sizes. One IMPORANT thing to remember when tapping NPT(pipe taps) Not to run the entire tap into the hole. Go a little at a time checking the fit of your pyro threads in the tapped hole. Normally if the fitting is made correctly you will have around 4-6 threads on the tap still sticking out of the hole you drilled. If you tap too deep the fitting will not tighten in the hole. Hope it isn't to confusing. Russ

Last edited:

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you Russ. That really helps. I just hope you are wrong on the size of the tap :) cause then I need to go back out and try to find a 1/4 NPT.

I ordered them online cause I couldn't find any after calling around town, except fastenall and they were to expensive...so if they arrive tomorrow I will be in heaven. I have a 4 day weekend so I've got some time to work on some projects.

Last edited:

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha....I LOL some times...the only way I can get through these things. After ordering the WRONG size....3/8...as I thought it was the only other 18 threads per inch thread at the time....it turns out it must be 1/4....aahhhh ohh well.

So my tap came from the UPS guy as I was grinding the rusted bed off of my 56 and I was going to go straight to work until I really looked at them are put the thermocouple next to the drill bit and realized it was a bit to big...Ohh well more tools in my tool box eh? :)

This one will go down in the record books for most time taken..

AVG time to install. 3 hours.

MY time to install 3 weeks :)

Haha I'll let you know how it goes. Going to run to fastenall and if they have it in stock buy the stupid 25 dollar tap.

Sears doesn't have them, nor lowes, nor home depot, nor true value...and couldn't find any other hardware stores in the area....I swear Corporate America pushed the little guy out that had something more than Ralph Lauren paint and curtains rods:doh: .

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
when my brother did his guages he had to get a 1/8 NPT tap and we got it at OREILY'S autoparts of all places to get a tap, and it wasn't that expensive either. good luck. hope you get it all together.

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TA DA

Well I finally got it. Picked up the tap yesterday at lunch and had it all in by the evening. Got it at Fastenal for 14 bucks.

It works great and my Boost gauge finally works a lot better without that huge hole in my manifold. I have better response now as well and hopefully better milage. I was getting some horrible MPG. Max out at 12-14 PSI though before any shifts and couldn't get enough load in Overdrive to see if it would go any higher.

The only thing now is my Tranny Temp guage. I didn't have power last time so I need to possibly switch the polarity around but I'm reading at 300+ degrees the second I turn it on.

Would switching that around help or would it just read zero at the other side? Is it possible I screwed up the sender on the tranny. I did thread it in all the way and I did put it in there pretty tight. I'll screw around with it tonight but maybe you guys have some experience with that.

Thank you for all the help.

This weekend comes the intake and the exhaust.:thanks :thumbs

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a question about tranny temp gauges. I just fixed my Boost gauge as the line was bent and stopping the flow..It still is sucking but good enough to work..It really gets wobbly around 12 PSI though.

I had switched the polarity on the gauge and it read 300+. I put it back and it still reads under 120.

How long does it take to get 100+ above ambient temperatures. I drove about 30 minutes. and even did some stompin on it to see if I could help it out.

I could not get the gauge to read above 120 which is where it starts.

Do you think I have a problem with the sender or does it just take a long time even to get 70+ above ambient temperatures.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14