How to DIY

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EDIT: So basically I don't have the tools after all that. I used the cool little tool to measure and I need 5/8 - 18....I only have up to 1/2 -20....Killing me here. Not sure where in town besides fastenall that wants 400 bucks for a 8 piece set carries one...Any ideas

sears...thats where ive bought my tap & die <sets>...they sell 'em in
singles too.

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ugh will I ever finish the most simple of installations. Went to the shop tonight and online it says they would be open.....they weren't. So 3o minutes of wasted time and I'm home now. I will check on sears but I'm still not sure the exact die I need. I don't have a good enough eye to tell if it is NPT or NF. They all look similar to me.

ahhh just sigh and continue to try and find either the 5/8 NF or a 3/8 NPT as suggested earlier.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im pretty certain its pipe/npt.
wasnt it stated in the instructions that came w/ the fitting/guage ?

look for a SEARS tool store (they have more stuff than the mall stores).

also a GOOD true value store might have it too, i dont know 'bout lowes
and the like...but they do have thread guages in the nut and bolt section,
maybe you could better determine the size & pitch that way ?

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Bushpilot...get thee to a hardware store with a substantial selection of nuts and bolts. Take your t-couple fitting along and keep trying nuts until you figure it out. Many fastener displays have a rack of nuts and bolts labeled for you to try your piece in. Also, the plumbing section will give you a chance to do the same for the npt thread.

You're almost there. Now I'm getting yancy to do this too! :rolleyes:

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, Well as soon as the taps get here I think I'm good to go. Went and carefully studied some bolts and it does appear this is NPT. Just stuff in my garage never went to a hardware store or anything.

What is the deal with 3/8 NPT and and 5/8 NF having different sizes yet being the same. They both require a 37/64 drill bit and have the same 18 threads per inch.

But yeah so as soon as those get here I'm good to go :) :hail pray to the automotive gods. :sweet

Then I will be back to :cussing: about trying to get my exhaust and 3" dp stuff in there :) Hmmm maybe this weekend??? I sure hope so :)

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You are comparing apples and oranges. Pipe to bolts are not the same sizes. Each has their own size and are not the same from one to the other. Take the thread that you want with you for the pipe size. It is confusing.

Dave

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly...Why can't we come up with anything standard here in the US...Come on Metric system...maybe by the time my future kids grandkids, grandkids, grandkids, come around :D

Oh by the way the directions didn't state. Got everything from E-guages and it is basically a hodgepodge of stuff thrown together. I wish it had said though.... as that would have saved me some time. But I'm stoked to get it all going and get rid of that awful loud hole.

dugweed

Loose nut, Ford nut
Reaction score
are you installing the thermocouple in the downpipe or the manifold?
Dug

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
addicted said:
What is the deal with 3/8 NPT and and 5/8 NF having different sizes yet being the same. They both require a 37/64 drill bit and have the same 18 threads per inch.

again............

The numbers behind the fractional size on a tap are threads per inch. Is your thread measurer for NF and NC only? Remember that you are dealing with NPT (pipe thread is a tapered thread, not a straight thread like bolts are) and that pyro fitting to me appears to be a 3/8 NPT.

Pipe fittings have to be tapered thread, its how they seal against leaks. Straight threads such as on a bolt wont hold a seal. And you wouldnt want tapered threads on a nut/bolt, you cant turn those by hand and the further you turn a tapered thread the tighter it gets.-popcorn

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14