How to Service Front Wheel Bearing on 4x4???

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure? Warn did make units for OEM but they usually say ford instead of warn

most later units with shift on the fly have an air actuated /manual selectable unit

that fail and get replaced with warn lol but not sure what you have

atk

Reaction score
ok i know im not in the right section being i have 7.3 but i know the front hubs are basicly the same, what about warn hubs, i bought my truck use it has warn hubs, did they come with that or is that a aftermarket item,

that would be aftermarket. i have the Warn premium hubs on mine that i put on couple years ago....

Bad Night

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 99 xl had warn hubs as well , I didn't buy it new but it had very low miles when I got it . It had the lock out on the floor with no electric on the fly button , could that be the difference ?

Yellowsub1962

supernewbie
Reaction score
I realize this is an old thread, but I found it researching what shocks everyone is using..

Anyways, about the Dynatrac Hub Package. First off I call them Dynarape for a reason - I've had a front end built by them in the past :rolleyes:

One of the biggest reasons to run their kit was not even mentioned. It saves money, as you drive. It allows you to completely disengauge the front end so all your parts are not spinning all the time. This saves axle seals and both axle and driveshaft u-joints. All this stuff spinning makes more drag and uses more fuel to turn. So by having the hubs totally free, there's less drag and less wear on parts = money saving. How long will it take to pay for itself? I calculated it for me at .75mpg savings, which I felt was conservative when I considered the cost of the ujoints and seals into it as well. My payoff would be at about 80K miles from the time of purchase. Now if I had to replace the unit bearings once in that mileage range normally, it knocks it down to someplace in the 60K range for payoff.

I still haven't come up with the $2200 for the kit yet and I'm at 69K, so I'm probably past the point of buying it for myself, but I wanted to share the info for anyone considering it. The earlier you can do it the better.

Like mentioned above, you have to get out and lock the hubs manually with the conversion, but this is my tow rig and in the 4 years I've had it, I would have had to get my feet wet only once to do this, and they we're already wet from loading up the buggy and toyhauler in a rain storm in Truckhaven Hills in the Salton Sea area. Other than that, I have 3 other 4wd vehicles that all have manual locking hubs, and I actually prefer them to the "electronic" vacuum hubs..

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't mention your application? my 06 hubs are oem and completley dissengage the front components ,, so that may be why they don't mention it as a benefit ?
also the best reason to do the swap is to loose the unit bearing ,, but it is too$$ for me

as for shocks .. I have seen many good post and I also run the Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks and love them

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a vacuum leak somewhere and the auto hubs work intermittently. It really annoys me when I have to get out in the pouring rain or after getting stuck to lock the hubs. Or going on a road trip and forgetting to unlock the hubs. I really need to look for that leak.

How often do you guys use your 4x4? Weekly, monthly, a few times a year?

Another question, how important are the dust seals on the axle? Every newer SD I've looked at has these seals just hanging loose on the shaft.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58