i got my new banks ram-air intake today

PSD POWER007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i never got a CEL with my K&N.:dunno

Yeah, I took the AFE stage 2 out and bought a K&N intake kit used on here and ran it for a while without the first CEL. I later went back to the stock intake with a PG7 OE replacement filter. And run this currently. No problems at all. I think AFE made the intake tube too damn big and was tricking out the MAF snesor too much. I would get a CEL every 30 miles with the Stage 2 kit.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
K&N .07
AFE .05
Airaid .02

Where did you find those numbers and which filter media was tested?

K&N uses a 3 layer media last I read and my Airaid for my 7.3L was a 5-layer. I'm willing to bet that the AFE tested where you got your info was not the PG7.

The Banks having an 8-layer media is the first I've heard of.

F350CCFX4

Smokin Bye
Reaction score
Where did you find those numbers and which filter media was tested?

K&N uses a 3 layer media last I read and my Airaid for my 7.3L was a 5-layer. I'm willing to bet that the AFE tested where you got your info was not the PG7.

The Banks having an 8-layer media is the first I've heard of.

Called each vendor and asked them.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Most people don't look at the Micron numbers and that's where they get bit.

Airaid .02

Now from Airaid site....

We test to SAE standard J726, the method for testing fractional efficiency of a filter. We could say that we capture 99.997 percent of particles of 10 microns and larger, most air filters, capture the full range of particulates, even down to 2 microns. Our filters are so efficient that we test all the way down to 0.3 microns. At 2 microns, our filters capture almost twice the percentage of particulates that our competitors do, and more than 6 times the amount at 0.5 microns.

.02 is not 2 microns....they test down to .3 microns but don't say how much of that they actually catch. Just trying to clarify, .02 microns is REALLY small.

firemediceric

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently have the stock intake system with a K&N drop in element. I'm thinking of getting the Tymar type filter element from NAPA and putting it in place of the stock set up.

I just read at another section on this forum that the stock set up provides more than enough air flow for my otherwise stock '99 F-350. Should I bother with changing to the Tymar type?

What's the concensus?

F350CCFX4

Smokin Bye
Reaction score
Now from Airaid site....

.02 is not 2 microns....they test down to .3 microns but don't say how much of that they actually catch. Just trying to clarify, .02 microns is REALLY small.

If you talk to them on the phone they do. Forgive me for not typing a number correctly from speaking with them 4 years ago. If .03 makes you feel better that is fine, but my point of them having the smallest micron screened filter still stands. Go get the numbers from them yourself and please post them. Help us all out please.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I currently have the stock intake system with a K&N drop in element. I'm thinking of getting the Tymar type filter element from NAPA and putting it in place of the stock set up.

I just read at another section on this forum that the stock set up provides more than enough air flow for my otherwise stock '99 F-350. Should I bother with changing to the Tymar type?

What's the concensus?
Your 7.3L will breathe a heck of a sight better than stock or K&N drop in and for $20 I'd have to say it's a great deal for the benefits we get:sweet

It may not be waterproof but when you go to wash your engine bay just secure a plastic bag of the filter element and you're good to go:cool:

Go to www.fleetfilter.com and search 46637 for the part number.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
If .03 makes you feel better that is fine, but my point of them having the smallest micron screened filter still stands. Go get the numbers from them yourself and please post them. Help us all out please.

When you say .03 do you mean 3/100ths of a micron?:confused: If so that would need cleaning WAY to often in my driving conditions, and if it was 3 years ago that you talked to them then my old Airaid had the same rating and got pin holed too quick for my liking.

I don't really care about the ratings becuase the only reason I'm running oiled cotton gauze is because it was free. I'd rather run an AIS or a paper donalson.

:sorry for the hijack How's the new filter Bama?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58