i got my new banks ram-air intake today

GO BIG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all of your input. I have been reading the fourms for a long time and this is my first response.

Im ordering my banks ram air today.

Thanks again

FoMoCo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Over the last weekend I finally changed out the turbo. Previous posts I had dusted the turbo in nasty silt beds in Nevada running chase for the Vegas to Reno off road race. I was running the K&N flat pannel replacement filter for the 7.3. That filter let so much crap past it, it was disgusting. I wouldn't run another oiled cotton/paper element if you told me you'd replace my engine for me. Anyways, replaced turbo with banks impeller and re-used ATS housing and ran it. 23.6 psi boost with K&N filter (flat panel in stock housing). Also bought AIS filter system, $197.00 from my buddy at South Bay Ford. Changed to that and ran it again. WOT on Alameda (no cross traffic) for both runs. No change in boost but I did notice that the filter minder had started to just pull off of clean. Driving from L.A. area to Salt Lake area (no load) leaving tomorrow. I'll compare fuel mileage against previous trips and see if there is a difference. Following weekend is out to the Mojave Desert towing the trailer and I'll compare mileage there as well. Stock impeller with the ATS housing and the boost was well over 26psi. Question/dillema, without dyno testing at various rpm's, peak boost at wot may be lower but at working rpm's (peak torque curve) boost could be higher making this cofiguration more optimal. Anyone else with some more input?

Mike

FoMoCo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Oh, I must add to above post. Given the environments that I am in from time to time I wouldn't run a cotton element. If I were running around on the street I might consider it. Then again, you never know when something beyond you contol will happen. For the record, the AIS is a real clean and sanitary installation. I feel I really got my moneys worth when I opend that box. I'll also sacrafice a little boost to know that the engine is breathing as clean as it can. Changing that turbo was kind of a bi--- pain. I really had better things to do on a Saturday! Live and Learn!

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Over the last weekend I finally changed out the turbo. Previous posts I had dusted the turbo in nasty silt beds in Nevada running chase for the Vegas to Reno off road race. I was running the K&N flat pannel replacement filter for the 7.3. That filter let so much crap past it, it was disgusting. I wouldn't run another oiled cotton/paper element if you told me you'd replace my engine for me. Anyways, replaced turbo with banks impeller and re-used ATS housing and ran it. 23.6 psi boost with K&N filter (flat panel in stock housing). Also bought AIS filter system, $197.00 from my buddy at South Bay Ford. Changed to that and ran it again. WOT on Alameda (no cross traffic) for both runs. No change in boost but I did notice that the filter minder had started to just pull off of clean. Driving from L.A. area to Salt Lake area (no load) leaving tomorrow. I'll compare fuel mileage against previous trips and see if there is a difference. Following weekend is out to the Mojave Desert towing the trailer and I'll compare mileage there as well. Stock impeller with the ATS housing and the boost was well over 26psi. Question/dillema, without dyno testing at various rpm's, peak boost at wot may be lower but at working rpm's (peak torque curve) boost could be higher making this cofiguration more optimal. Anyone else with some more input?

Mike

Oh, I must add to above post. Given the environments that I am in from time to time I wouldn't run a cotton element. If I were running around on the street I might consider it. Then again, you never know when something beyond you contol will happen. For the record, the AIS is a real clean and sanitary installation. I feel I really got my moneys worth when I opend that box. I'll also sacrafice a little boost to know that the engine is breathing as clean as it can. Changing that turbo was kind of a bi--- pain. I really had better things to do on a Saturday! Live and Learn!

im confused, what this right-up got to do with anything on this thread?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

FoMoCo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
im confused, what this right-up got to do with anything on this thread?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Well, as I was reading the posts someone mentioned the ais filter from ford with donaldson filter technology. I've not been scanning the site for a while and hadn't heard of the Banks unit until yesterday and it peaked my interest. It seems as though most of these other filter systems use a cotton oiled filter element. There is an explanation of my experience with them, what I went through because of them, where I'm at now, and for everyone to be aware and pay attention to the intake tube to the turbo. That is how I initially discovered the problem. I noticed a drop in boost and when I went to check the filter I noticed dust inside the tube. Upon taking the ATS housing off of my old turbo there was oily gritty debris inside the housing, a substantial amount. I also wanted to note the initial impression and readings for those that may be looking at the ais as an option. I've used the K&N filters for quite some time on other vehicles although not on a forced induction engine. I do oil them properly so that wasn't the issue. The filters capability was the issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58