Ignorant tuner question

CCSBD

Diesel Power
Reaction score
Yes whenever you switch tuners or a new file the transmission needs time to learn the new tune :) Not downing Banks but yes they have saftey features for the motor by defueling it but no saftey features for the Trans!! But if you have a tuned SCT then you dont have to really worry about safety features, just drive with common sense! I would much rather have the sct and monitor my guages then banks and have so called saftey features

And there is no way to stack on the 6.0's anyways. Because the SCT totally rewrites the computer so therefore it will override the banks (if you get what I mean)

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, texa&m seemed to indicate an interest in improved fuel mileage/driveability over the huge power gains of some tuners. any way to get a mileage/economy tune with the sct? Can you plug a set of guages right into the harness already under the dash like with the banks? or do they have to be an add-on set?

Not to sound like a doubting doubty, but if both tuners make power the same way, adding fuel and boost, and the sct makes way more power from what I am hearing, then how is the system with no redundant safety measures magically more safe. Is there a de-fuel built into the sct program somehow? And if the sct still has the same "learning" procedure for the tranny, are you sure the tranny is actually being tuned? or is it still relying on the factory adaptive trans tuner to adjust for increased power? in the latter case, you would run just as great a risk of blowing your tranny with the sct as with the banks.

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and the banks actually "piggy-backs" the factory ecu, so it recieves an modifies signals going in/out without reprogramming the factory ecu. so you could stack them, but the banks would actually be overriding the sct tune!

CCSBD

Diesel Power
Reaction score
Yes they have econo tunes for the sct but you are best off using an extreme file or something like that (but keep your foot out of it) No you cannot plug the sct into harness for guages you need a seperate set but I would rather have a set of real guages cause they are going to give you the most accurate reading (not saying banks is way off) The SCT actually tunes your tranny. What I meant by learning is it needs to learn the new shift points, firmness and things like that. As far as defueling just watch your egt guage and when it starts to get hot just let off the gas

Lets see Banks you just plug in and go its made for ALL 6.0's right?? Well with the sct you have to send off your strategy code (specific per truck) for the motor and trans to whoever is doing your tuning and they write a custom tune for YOUR specific truck!! They are totally different thats why the sct is better

CCSBD

Diesel Power
Reaction score
Somethings can be stacked but its a waste of time and money cause the sct with custom tunes will outperform anything stacked

I have just got in the habbit of saying it cant be done cause like i said its a waste of time and money:)

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the way the economy tunes work is by "modifying" the computer to make it more efficient. It may be adding power but it is using the power a lot more efficiently and usually at a much lower RPM and boost level. I had the Banks gauges as well as the Six Gun. I think they were accurate. Since I sold the Banks and the gauges, I installed my Autometer gauges and I don't really see that much of a difference. Of course the Pyro gauge is not run off the computer anyway, it has a probe in the manifold like any other.

TexasA&M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All good info. Keep it coming!!

Anyone know of any exhaust systems that have an EGT probe already built into the down pipe?

What kind of exhaust are most people running? I think that will be one of the first performance mods that I do.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The EGR probe needs to be in the Exhaust manifold to keep it close the the exit of the hot exhaust gasses. The down pipe would be too far down stream and would not give you a relaible reading. (too cold)

Dave

dennisj2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Dennis, I had a Banks system as well and it has lots of safety features built in.
Dennis, I talked to Innovative Diesel a couple years ago when I was thinking about stacking and they strongly recommended not doing it. I know you are not stacking but they recommended not even using the SCT while the Banks is installed. I don't remember exactly why (besides way to much power on an otherwise stock engine) they told me not to stack. Remember when we installed the Banks we had to go through that process for the transmission to "learn" the Banks, maybe that has something to do with the SCT not shifting right.???? I looked through my saved emails and I don't have the emails anymore.

I do have the bank completly unhooked, I didnt want to really screw up, I also wanted to see for myself the difference.
Like I said there is a difference, But myself I would be satisfied either way, I did run the Banks for a long time with out gauges, I purchased some later, then took reading and have compared them to the SCT, The extreme street which I have run more then the other tunes, Has a bad habit when the engine is cold not wanting to fuel right, either to much fuel or not enough, You cant ease into it, I dont like the engine getting to hot to fast.;tu

dennisj2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All good info. Keep it coming!!

Anyone know of any exhaust systems that have an EGT probe already built into the down pipe?

What kind of exhaust are most people running? I think that will be one of the first performance mods that I do.
I am running MBRP, as long as they are a good manderal bent pipe they will be good, as Daveben said You will have to install the EGT probe into the manifold yourself, But I am sure there are some aftermarket manifolds that may have this drilled already. If you have the money, or want to pay someone to do yours, I did my own.;tu

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14