Ignorant tuner question

TexasA&M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How hard is it to pull the manifold off? What other stuff needs to come off before the manifold?

dennisj2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How hard is it to pull the manifold off? What other stuff needs to come off before the manifold?
To be honest they prefer you pull the manifold to prevent debries fro entering the turbo, but the way most people here do it, You dont remove the manifold, Have a good shop vac ready and some grease, You pick a place on the drivers side rear of the manifold,

I am sure someone here has pics handy.
You drill the hole with the vacum pulling the shavings away from the hole, and try not to let any get into the manifold, then when you tap the hole just add grease to the tap to catch the shavings, cant remember the size of the bit but it will use a 1/4" tap.
Its not hard just working over your head. WEAR SAFTEY GLASSES.

Havent ever pulled the manifold just looked easier to do the other way.

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Drill it in place. Just be careful when the drill "breaks" through so you don't break the drill. Easy drilling and taping. Put some grease in the tap and go slowly. Vacuum out the hole before you put the sensor in. It is really easier than it looks.

Dave :)

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't pull my manifold, I just installed it in the rear of the drivers side exhaust manifold. Like Dennis and Dave said, grease and a vacuum are your friend. Dennis hit the wear safety glasses nail right on the head, I didn't wear safety glasses (I knew better) and the next day I was at the doctor getting my eyeball numbed up so a doctor could grind off some abrasions with a tool that looked and acted like a dremel. I didn't have my glasses on and some hot shavings fell in my eye. I got them out when I rinsed but they seared my eye and had to be ground down.
I run an MBRP by the way and I know that a few of our sponsors carry a few different exhausts that would work great.

CCSBD

Diesel Power
Reaction score
Yea I installed it myself too, it is pretty simple! I didnt use grease on the drill bits though cause I have heard stories that the grease held the shavings in the hole and got into the turbo that way? What I did and had no problems was started with a very small bit then went up 1 size at a time till I reched my size. That way the shavings are very very small. You do want to use grease or lube when you tap it though so it goes smoothly and doesnt ruin the tap. Then vacuum out and install probe and your done :)

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I feel kinda dumb now for taking off the manifold... But at least it made me feel better knowing for sure I didn't have a pile of shavings ready to "polish" the vanes on my turbo.:sweet

Anyway, I still don't see how one tuner can add power more safely than the other, considering they go about it the same way... Yeah I agree that the sct is more advanced with the power you can create and the various adjustments you can make. However, there is something to be said as well for plug and play. and simplicity. the banks makes more than enough power for me, if I use it it is on 2 almost all the time and I assume the only reason to have the strategy code is to make more power. Maybe instead of using the term "safe" I should be using the term "idiot proof" Both the sct and the banks are "safe" but the banks is more "idiot proof"... or at least "idiot resistant":D

As far as defueling just watch your egt guage and when it starts to get hot just let off the gas
With the banks, someone other than me, girlfriend or whoever, who may know nothing about egt and tuners and only sees blinky lights and waving guages can hop in my truck, take it down the freeway and I don't have to worry about a thing. Something to be said for that as well. (i'm a big worryer)

The SCT actually tunes your tranny. What I meant by learning is it needs to learn the new shift points, firmness and things like that.
This is all done by the factory adaptive tranny program, not sure what else you would tune?:dunno The sct must go past the factory adjustments for pressure? or lock the t/c more? I would be interested to know what it does, do they make a standalone transmission tuner?

As far as tuners go I guess I am finding out it is like brands of pickups, to each his own I guess. Texa&m I hope all of this info is helping you make decisions on which way to go. About your exhaust question, I went to the exhaust shop in town, brought them the muffler and tip I wanted, and they just mandrel bent a 4" system for me, including the new turbo flange and all hangers, all stainless. I am very happy with it and it cost me like 150 bucks installed (plus muffler and tip off ebay) Prob 250 total??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14