Improving Fuel Economy

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
So here my situation. i switched from my superchip to DP tuner and now i get worse fuel mileage than before. im running 4 inch MBRP tb and tymar filter setup. i have some cheapo Milestar 285/75/16's that came on it when i bought it. they look like a highway tire. i periodically check my tire pressure. they are rated for 65psi and i keep them at 60. i try to keep it under 2000 rpms when accelerating, but of course it dont always work out that way. i average about 14-15 right now. im open to all suggestions to improve my fuel mileage without breaking the bank.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
It isn't unusual for "mileage" to initially go down when installing a DP Tuner or similar chip. The primary cause is because people are enjoying the increased performance too much. :D After the right foot is re-trained, slight fuel economy gains are then realized.

The other consideration is the recent switch to winter blended fuel. Diesel fuel in most parts of the country during the winter has additives in it to help prevent gelling. One chain of stations up here, actually posts on the pumps the temp's the blended fuel will provide protection to. The blended fuel is phased in begining in November and reaches maximum "blend" in January.

The important point is winter blended fuel has less thermal energy than summer fuel. Therefore, winter fuel will get less mileage than summer fuel.

Make sure you're not comparing your Super Chips on summer fuel vs DP Tuner on winter fuel. That isn't a valid comparison.

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
yeah, i know exactly what your talking about on retraining your foot. ive been slowly getting back to drinving like an old geezer! thanks Kent. you ever miss working on the buffs?

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
you ever miss working on the buffs?

Every single day.

If there was some way I could have joined the reserves or air guard, go back to working on airplanes and not forfeit my active duty pension, I'd do it in a minute.

I miss the people, the sense of mission & the service to country. From what I've seen so far, too many people in the civilian business world are arseholes & idiots and would never make it in the military.

But I don't miss the BS, how fast can you run a mile (what's that got to do with how fast I can turn a wrench?), let's change everybody's uniforms (again), let's change the stripes and the rank system, let's change all the regulations that have worked fine for years, let's make people 40+ years old meet the same weight standards as 18 year olds, etc.

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
you ever miss working on the buffs?

p.s. When I was out-processing for retirement, I had to turn in my flightline security badge (line bage). Even though at retirement I was working the command post, before I turned my badge in, I went out to the flightline to my old jet (61-040) that I was a crew chief on and flew several times as gunner. I went up inside of it, and sat in the gunner's seat and just cried for about about 20 minutes.

That's how bad I miss it, yet even today, 15+ years later.

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Well, I can't agree with you enough. Don't lose your sense of mission and service. You served this great nation for at many years and thanksto your dedication, those b-52s are still flying free and are riegning down peace the old fashion way every day in the AOR. I'd like to personally thank you for your service.

As far as the things you don't miss, they are still the same or getting worse. We are now pt testing twice a year and have stricter run standards.

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep yer cruise'n RPMs under 2K (60~62 MPH)

Run 2 cycle oil @ 1 oz per Gallon.
Run yer tire pressures per the door sticker, + 5 lbs.

Avoid being next to Ricers @ stop lights. If you can't avoid it.. Control Yerself.

Thats my Credo.. I get about 18 per, 11~12 towing, use'n Goesinta math at the pump.

'bout as good as it gits.. with 444 cid'n a 8500 lbd DRW.

:dunno

Last edited:

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
Good points

You all make good points and heres a few more, running smaller tires decreases drivetrain drag, with my 235's I get 18 city and 22 hwy. Keep up on your filter changes,remember more horsepower requires more fuel so if your chipped and running a bunch of performance goodies your unlikely to get the mileage you want. Tire pressures are vital, I run all mine to max psi cold, the door jam number is for ride quality not for mileage. The tire manufacture knows there tires and running at that number gets me 14/18 on 35's. Also the winter blend fuel just so we all know has 60% kerosene and 40% diesel, the kerosene is what keeps it from gelling.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14