Improving Fuel Economy

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Keep yer cruise'n RPMs under 2K (60~62 MPH)

Run 2 cycle oil @ 16:1

Run yer tire pressures per the door sticker, + 5 lbs.

Avoid being next to Ricers @ stop lights. If you can't avoid it.. Control Yerself.

Thats my Credo.. I get about 18 per, 11~12 towing, use'n Goesinta math at the pump.

'bout as good as it gits.. with 444 cid'n a 8500 lbd DRW.

:dunno

what kind of 2 cycle oil do you add to your fuel? and 16:1? that sounds kind of high if im thinking of it right.

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
You all make good points and heres a few more, running smaller tires decreases drivetrain drag, with my 235's I get 18 city and 22 hwy. Keep up on your filter changes,remember more horsepower requires more fuel so if your chipped and running a bunch of performance goodies your unlikely to get the mileage you want. Tire pressures are vital, I run all mine to max psi cold, the door jam number is for ride quality not for mileage. The tire manufacture knows there tires and running at that number gets me 14/18 on 35's. Also the winter blend fuel just so we all know has 60% kerosene and 40% diesel, the kerosene is what keeps it from gelling.

i did not know that. really? 60% kerosene! wow. i learn something new everyday on here. so, hypathetically speaking, could we run off of straight kerosene?

235/85/16's sure do sound small! makes me think twice about going up to 305's or 315's.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
what kind of 2 cycle oil do you add to your fuel? and 16:1? that sounds kind of high if im thinking of it right.

16:1 is high, very high. That is a whole 1/2 pint of oil per gallon of fuel.

To put that into perspective the standard for most outboard motors using pre-mix is 50:1.

I get the house brand TCW3 2 stroke oil from Walmart. I use 1 oz per gallon. Since there is 128 oz in a gallon, that equates to a ratio of 128:1. The whole idea is to provide additional lubrication to the injectors since the Feds took all the lubrication properties out of the diesel. Since my truck runs quieter on 128:1, I have to assume that 128:1 is helping in that respect.

aklim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did not know that. really? 60% kerosene! wow. i learn something new everyday on here. so, hypathetically speaking, could we run off of straight kerosene?

235/85/16's sure do sound small! makes me think twice about going up to 305's or 315's.

Hypothetically speaking, you can. Realistically speaking, your injectors are probably not going to live a long and happy life. It's like marrying your sister. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Flash Off-Road Diesel Fuel Articles

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
16:1 is high, very high. That is a whole 1/2 pint of oil per gallon of fuel.

To put that into perspective the standard for most outboard motors using pre-mix is 50:1.

I get the house brand TCW3 2 stroke oil from Walmart. I use 1 oz per gallon. Since there is 128 oz in a gallon, that equates to a ratio of 128:1. The whole idea is to provide additional lubrication to the injectors since the Feds took all the lubrication properties out of the diesel. Since my truck runs quieter on 128:1, I have to assume that 128:1 is helping in that respect.

My Bad Guyz..(TG) :hail 1 Ounce per Gallon is what I meant to say. I put 1, 16 oz jug of TCW3, per 16 gallons.

* It's not that biga hassle.. I fill up @ a half'a tank.. dump in one 16 oz jug'n go. If anything, it's a bit light (per gallon) but I think.. ANY lubrication is better than what we get from ULSC #2.. on the 7.3's (older engine) anywayz.

I'm 'bout half dingy with Meds.. fighting a Butt Kick'n Cold.. think I'll just Read for awhile :lmao:lmao

Last edited:

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
You all make good points and heres a few more, running smaller tires decreases drivetrain drag, with my 235's I get 18 city and 22 hwy. Keep up on your filter changes,remember more horsepower requires more fuel so if your chipped and running a bunch of performance goodies your unlikely to get the mileage you want. Tire pressures are vital, I run all mine to max psi cold, the door jam number is for ride quality not for mileage. The tire manufacture knows there tires and running at that number gets me 14/18 on 35's. Also the winter blend fuel just so we all know has 60% kerosene and 40% diesel, the kerosene is what keeps it from gelling.

anybody running 235's got any pics? im interested to see what they look like.

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
235's

Hey clintusaf, I don't have any photo's of my 01 350 with the pizza cutters but I will tell you this, after I put the 35's on when my factory 265's were worn the truck looked awesome but with 235's it looks sad but for the mileage increase I'll deal with it. It's still a 1 ton right? :eek:

Racinghcr

Racinghcr
Reaction score
I just put half a tank in my 2001 F-350 7.3 PSD because it was late and most of the stations were closed. I've always used #2 Diesel since new ,but after towing my 38 ft Designer Fifth wheel down to Pine Island/Ft. Myers for the winter,I notice unlike the Diesel back home in Indiana -many of the area fuel stations here are "ultra low Sulfur". What should I avoid this new diesel fuel with my 2001 7.3 ? Will the outboard TWC #3 oil at 1 oz. per gallon take care of this lack of Lubrication? Should I avoid it more when towing?

aklim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What should I avoid this new diesel fuel with my 2001 7.3 ?

Will the outboard TWC #3 oil at 1 oz. per gallon take care of this lack of Lubrication?

Good luck with that. AFAIK, ALL stations are selling ULSD for road applications at this time. This "new" fuel has been around for a few years.

At this time, there should already be lubricity agents in the fuel. Could it be in the "teething years" there was insufficient? Possibly. Today, I believe it is fine. Bosch has shows that you MIGHT lose UP TO 10% of your injector life. Hardly worth it to carry lubricant and measure it, etc, etc. This is between the lubricity they want vs what we can get.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14