INFO: BLOCK HEATERs <for those that need it>

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I trenched out to where I park my truck, fed 12ga exterior Romex through that blue flexible plastic conduit and put a weatherproof box on a post... worked good up untill last year when I realized that $100. spike in the electric bill was that 1000w block heater plugged in overnight...

so last year I found an exterior-rated clock timer at Lowe's... problem was, I wired it to the coachlights on the front of the garage... so when the wife turned out the coachlights, the timer got shut down...

I was going to rewire the stupid thing, but you know what? I listed the house last week, so I'm not going to worry about it...

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
BIG BUCKS...but im sure some will be happy to know
they come in CHROME...or GOLD...

item2650_1.jpg

I can't think of ANYBODY that would want one in CHROME :roflmao

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
hey bush, whats your schedule like this week, i would like to see this set up on your truck so i can do it.:thanks , also, how hard is it to change out a block heater and glow plugs???????:dunno anybody

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I like it Bush! Go ahead and write it up,get the photos together in the order you want and email it to me,I'll add your article to the wiki:notworthy :thumbs

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey bush, whats your schedule like this week, i would like to see this set up on your truck so i can do it

im 'round...pretty busy this week, between meetings downtown,
HOA meeting & meetings in Austin for the day friday it could
be tough to meet up during the week.

im 'round this weekend and most of next week as far as i know.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
hey bush, whats your schedule like this week, i would like to see this set up on your truck so i can do it.:thanks , also, how hard is it to change out a block heater and glow plugs???????:dunno anybody

block heater is a walk in the park... just screws in the oil filter adapter (on a 7.3L)

glow plugs are under the valve covers... slightly more time consuming...

97PowerSmokerIA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL the Kussmaul was bound to show up in this thread, i was thinking the same thing Fire1, lol being a firefighter ive seen plenty of our new high speed excited guys take off with ceiling mounted extension cord reels dragging behind the truck,:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao its cheap insurance in my opinion saves alot of embarrassment, the only thing is im pretty sure its wired to work on the starter solenoid on the switched side so when u bumb the starter over it activates the plunger to push the cord out, which means extra wiring,

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL the Kussmaul was bound to show up in this thread, i was thinking the same thing Fire1, lol being a firefighter ive seen plenty of our new high speed excited guys take off with ceiling mounted extension cord reels dragging behind the truck,:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao its cheap insurance in my opinion saves alot of embarrassment, the only thing is im pretty sure its wired to work on the starter solenoid on the switched side so when u bumb the starter over it activates the plunger to push the cord out, which means extra wiring,

thats exactly how they work...200-400 bucks for an OUTLET is a bit
steep for most of us.

if you mount a 19 dollar marinco outlet like i have (or in the front) its a straight pull
when you pull/drive off & the cord simply pulls out...ask me how i know :sly

97PowerSmokerIA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol as long as the marinco lets go before the wall outlet:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao yea those Kussmauls are usually on 500,000$+ Fire Apparatus :thumbs

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg