Injector flush and other service...

TexasA&M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the truck at the dealer for some waranty work (turbo will most likely be replaced) and they suggested that I get the oil changed, the fuel filters changed, as well as a fuel injector flush.

I'm going to have the oil changed by them, but I'm wondering about the filters and the injector flush. I'm mechanically inclined, so I was thinking of doing the filters myself. I can't imagine it's very hard, but wanted some insight from folks that have done it before.

Also, what's the story with this Injector flush? Necessary?

JRJ04

Reaction score
never heard of an injector flush...but if you're mechanically inclined you should be able to handle changing the oil and filters. It'll save you some money too!

GIG EM!

TexasA&M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changing the oil isn't an issue, but they've got a good deal right now and it would cost my just as much to buy the fluid, so I'm gonna let them do it. I figure the filters are easy as well, but damn, they want $75 just for the actual filters!! Is this about right? What kind of filters are you guys running out there?

Anyone know about the injector flush? They want $169 for it....

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
The fuel filters at my local Ford dealer are around 75.00 list price, they love me so much they sell them to me for 60.00 :D

I buy my oil at Wal-Mart at 11.67 for a 5 quart jug (takes 3 of them per oil change)

I figured at one time it saved me about 40 to 50 bucks to do it myself, plus I have really come to enjoy it. :sweet

There are a few things you can buy to make the process go easier.

1. Fumoto Valve for the oil change. (Our new sponser Mad Jack Racing can hook you up with one)

2. hfcm water separator drain plug upgrade from another sponser of SDD Truck Performance Parts Diesel Pickup Truck Performance Parts Powerstroke Parts Buy Online

These 2 items will make it alot easier to perform your maintenance.

TexasA&M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good stuff!! I'll have to look into that for the next time. I'm planning on adding the Amsoil bypass filter the next time I change the oil (can't afford it now, and the oil needs to be changed).

Both valves look like good additions. How does the stock valve work on the fuel filter? Why is this new one better?

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Good stuff!! I'll have to look into that for the next time. I'm planning on adding the Amsoil bypass filter the next time I change the oil (can't afford it now, and the oil needs to be changed).

Both valves look like good additions. How does the stock valve work on the fuel filter? Why is this new one better?

The HFCM valve is used at the filter on the frame. It keeps the water/diesel fuel from going everywhere when you loosen it to drain off any water.

It is just alot less messy when you loosen it.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of an Injector Flush either..:watchout. I'm thinking it's simply dumping some injector cleaner in yer fuel tank (at some ungodly $ amount per ounce) and "listing it" on yer bill, in a way, that makes you feel they've actualy done something. Get yerself a jug of Power Service (grey jug) at Wal-Mart.. mix it in onces per gallon, by the directions... you've done yer Own.. Injector Flush.

The Oil & filter(s) change is yer call.. But read the fine print ?

Not Bashing anyone here.. but Often.. and not only Dealers.. Some "Deals" aren't what they [appeared to be].. when it comes time to pay the bill, to get yer keys back.

Last edited:

TexasA&M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know. Are there any instructions out there on changing the fuel filters? I'm gonna pick up the parts when I go to get the truck and will tackle it this weekend.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58