Injector ? No oil squirting

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok got the fuel pump in and while I was in there changed the IPR o-rings

Truck started up rather easily after changing those. I hadn't tightened the IPR nut down tight enough so it started to idle rather roughly after tightening it down a touch more it smoothed out the idle. Still didn't solve the EGT Problem but now I do have smoke at idle it's a light blue tint. When I tried to take a trip down the road I blew a huge plume of white smoke and immediately threw a CEL :cussing: and the engine promptly lost all power even full throttle was like I was barely tipping in the fuel. It was enough for me to pull into the parking lot next to where I was and see if I could find something out. I did hear a noticeable ticking sound coming from the passenger's side of the engine :confused: any clue for what I should be looking for when I go back in there. I turned the truck off hoping that when I restarted it that I'd could drive the less than a mile back to the house at something that would actually register on the spedo. Bad idea :rolleyes: it would just turn and act like it was almost going to start but wouldn't then it got to where it sounded just like it did when I was trying to purge the air out of the rails w/ the #9 fuse pulled. Had to call and get pulled back to the house.

Any suggestions as to what to start looking for now?? :dunno

Anyone have a code scanner in Atlanta or nearby that I could borrow?

bdp

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
BJS said:
Ok got the fuel pump in and while I was in there changed the IPR o-rings

Truck started up rather easily after changing those. I hadn't tightened the IPR nut down tight enough so it started to idle rather roughly after tightening it down a touch more it smoothed out the idle. Still didn't solve the EGT Problem but now I do have smoke at idle it's a light blue tint. When I tried to take a trip down the road I blew a huge plume of white smoke and immediately threw a CEL :cussing: and the engine promptly lost all power even full throttle was like I was barely tipping in the fuel. It was enough for me to pull into the parking lot next to where I was and see if I could find something out. I did hear a noticeable ticking sound coming from the passenger's side of the engine :confused: any clue for what I should be looking for when I go back in there. I turned the truck off hoping that when I restarted it that I'd could drive the less than a mile back to the house at something that would actually register on the spedo. Bad idea :rolleyes: it would just turn and act like it was almost going to start but wouldn't then it got to where it sounded just like it did when I was trying to purge the air out of the rails w/ the #9 fuse pulled. Had to call and get pulled back to the house.

Any suggestions as to what to start looking for now?? :dunno

Anyone have a code scanner in Atlanta or nearby that I could borrow?

You get it yet BJ? Its got to be in teh oil system, may have popped an airbubble under the ICP.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm working on it still haven't quite had a chance to dig in completely actually having a job is getting in the way of me working on my truck.

I'll let ya know when I get her fired up I'm hoping to be running this weekend since that's what I'm hoping to drive to on my trip this weekend.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well an update for ya'll

I'm pretty much in the same place as I was before because every time I have a chance to work on the truck it's pouring down rain :( it really sucks not having a shop/garage to work on the truck.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
BJS said:
Well an update for ya'll

I'm pretty much in the same place as I was before because every time I have a chance to work on the truck it's pouring down rain :( it really sucks not having a shop/garage to work on the truck.
Sorry to hear that, I would gladly take the rain for a day or three so you could pull your injectors back out.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well thanks for taking the rain there 95_stroker for at least today.

When I talked to bean a week or more ago he said that his great suspicion was a problem with the HP oil system especially since I have a new fuel pump w/ adequate pressure. Since I'm lacking a scanner that will help in the process I'm trying to diagnose a computer controlled engine with mechanical tools :D so I made up a HPO pressure guage and gee no matter how long I crank it the needle doesn't move at all no where near the 500 I need to crank the engine :(

So if i'm understanding this right I've got 3 possible choices, 1. Failed HPOP, 2. Stuck IPR. 3. Bad PCM

I'm going to go with the IPR being the first suspect especially since I screwed with it trying to clean it out with my luck i managed to screw it up. and since the valve is normally diverting the oil back to the reservoir I'm thinking this might be why I have no pressure on the oil rails but cranking will give me engine oil pressure according to the dummy guage on the dash. I'm hoping to pickup another IPR tomorrow to try off of the stroker in the salvage yard.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok got the IPR swapped out and it started up very easily and idled right around 500 psi once I got it started.

Now I'm blowing enough white smoke especially on moderate to hard accel, no CEL but enough white smoke to fog out the entire road. At full throttle unloaded accel I'm pushing only 700° I didn't catch what boost I was running. Right now I'm running around w/o the chip to make sure everything is running right before I stick it back in there.

So is this level of smoke normal after swapping injectors? Any clue why I would be blowing this much white smoke given the EGT temps are high enough to burn the fuel I'd be expecting black smoke for unburned fuel?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
No, you should not have that kind of white smoke. 700° is pretty low combustion temps if you are WOT as you state. Do you know if you are truely WOT? Meaning full voltage coming off the go pedal. White smoke is unburned fuel, black smoke is fuel burned at an improper ratio (soot).

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok didn't think that kind of white smoke was normal, guess I'll call Bean today and see what he can suggest. WOT is 4.45V so that's pretty darn close if you ask me

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talked to Ryan today and he said just drive the piss out of the truck and see if the smoke clears up. After cruising around for about 50 miles the smoke cleared up and the EGT's returned to normal :D :D now on to that pesky weak link of a transmission before I can really make use of these injectors. :D :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58