Injector removal

Quadzilla

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Click here, and here.
I'll be getting my Stage I's from Bean in about a week and a half, and will be swapping them out in about two weeks. I've pulled injectors before, so this shouldn't be too hard. If I run across something that I think is noteworthy, I'll let y'all know.

Last edited:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Scott,

Thanks for the links, maybe we need to lean on Bean to get some kind of write up similar to that on his site as well. The one on Jonathans page is very thorough.

Mike

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Make sure you don't get any oil or fuel down the injector hole. If you even think that you did, bump the starter to clear it out(with injector removed). Caution, the suspect fluid will exit at a high rate of speed so use a rag to keep from covering the rest of the engine and shop wall. :oops:

Scott

Quadzilla

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Mr. Gebel!! Nice to see you!!
When I've purged the cylinders of the "suspect fluid", I've done it with the injector in and the glow plug out. That keeps the stuff from running back down the injector hole. I suppose either would work, though.
I'd heard that having the injector out would just allow more to enter from the fuel rail. Of course, I drain the oil rail, but not the fuel rail before pulling injectors, so that might be why I was told to do it my way.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I talked to Craig (NIT) yesterday, he must be old hat at this game..... He said plan for a whole day but he can do it in about 2 1/2 hours now..... LOL. The more I learn the more confident I feel about doing it. Everybody is pretty much saying its not all that difficult of a job, just be slow and methodical and check everything twice.:sweet

Now if I could get the same warm fuzzy about doing the TC and Tugger kit.......:oops:

wanderer

Reaction score
Fairly easy job to do, after I did it. Draining the oil rail is simple. You rap the rear allen head, that is located under the valve cover, with a punch, to keep yourself from stripping it if it is too tight. You're not trying to turn it, just breaking it loose. Crack one of the outside lines on the rail, and the oil will flow to the rear, and down into the pan. After you have removed the lower bolt on an injector, take a rubber mallet, and rap the top of the injector fairly hard, to break it loose. After the injectors are out, wipe the liquid out, and take a toothbrush to the gunk inside the injector cup, and wipe it clean with a rag. I removed the glowplugs, so that after the injectors were installed, I replaced the valve cover loosely, and then spun the engine over a few times, to purge the cylinders of any liquid that was inside of them.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
wanderer said:
Fairly easy job to do, after I did it. Draining the oil rail is simple. You rap the rear allen head, that is located under the valve cover, with a punch, to keep yourself from stripping it if it is too tight. You're not trying to turn it, just breaking it loose. Crack one of the outside lines on the rail, and the oil will flow to the rear, and down into the pan. After you have removed the lower bolt on an injector, take a rubber mallet, and rap the top of the injector fairly hard, to break it loose. After the injectors are out, wipe the liquid out, and take a toothbrush to the gunk inside the injector cup, and wipe it clean with a rag. I removed the glowplugs, so that after the injectors were installed, I replaced the valve cover loosely, and then spun the engine over a few times, to purge the cylinders of any liquid that was inside of them.
Blair,

Welcome to SDD, glad to see you here. If I offered you and Tim a case of cold ones would ya come on over and lend a hand? ;) Thanks for the tips and advice, you guys are making this sound like a no brainer......

wanderer

Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Blair,

Welcome to SDD, glad to see you here. If I offered you and Tim a case of cold ones would ya come on over and lend a hand? ;) Thanks for the tips and advice, you guys are making this sound like a no brainer......

Where are you located?

wanderer

Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Wyoming, can you be here by 9 tomorrow? ;)

I'll be up that way on the bike this summer, but I would guess that you will have the job done by then. I'll take the cold beer though. :sweet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58