Installed 22" wipers

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I had read somewhere once that you could install longer
wiper blades for more coverage and since I needed some new wipers anyways,
I stopped at the local NAPA store and checked 'em out.

WOW what a difference. 1.5" more coverage on the top and on the bottom.

It really makes it easier to see on a rainy day.

Just thought I would pass this info along.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
We upgraded to the larger blades a couple years ago and we like the additional vision area on the glass too;tu

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amazing what another 1.5" of Clear, Clean Windshield surface area, in inclement Weather will do, ain't it ? I've had the longer wipers (24") on my 2K since almost New. Makes ya wunder why Ford used the Shorty's for OEM.:dunno

Joe

There..;):D:)

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
I went with 1 longer just to make sure it worked, then eventually went to the full 22's on my next change. I wanted 24's, but the cost of widening and raising the cab was prohibitive. Of course, much like tire height, your really only getting half the difference, but at both ends. So as long as the relationship of the wiper to the windshield stays the same, you should get the extra clearing capability even if you went with 20's or 21's. I would imagine if your truck is lowered, you could get away with 18's, as long as it doesn't rain that often in your area. Bushpilot would know, I'm sure he'll chime in at some point.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I went with 1 longer just to make sure it worked, then eventually went to the full 22's on my next change. I wanted 24's, but the cost of widening and raising the cab was prohibitive. Of course, much like tire height, your really only getting half the difference, but at both ends. So as long as the relationship of the wiper to the windshield stays the same, you should get the extra clearing capability even if you went with 20's or 21's. I would imagine if your truck is lowered, you could get away with 18's, as long as it doesn't rain that often in your area. Bushpilot would know, I'm sure he'll chime in at some point.

Upon further review of my windshield and where the 22's hit, I can
see that the 24's would work. :sweet

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score

i was TRYIN to avoid this thread ! now youve baited me !

you need to CONSIDER the added length of the wiper and the LIFT
from the wind (the wiper blade now called a "WING" in its longer form
may NOT have as much down force on the windscreen) !

so your windscreen may NOT be getting as clean as you think :innocent

Last edited:

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
The 22's work fine for me. The extra little bit it keeps clear was right on the money.

I wasn't tryin to make a fuse about it, just thought others might be interested.

It's no big deal.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
i was TRYIN to avoid this thread ! now youve baited me !

you need to CONSIDER the added length of the wiper and the LIFT
from the wind (the wiper blade now called a "WING" in its longer form
may NOT have as much down force on the windscreen) !

so your windscreen may NOT be getting as clean as you think :innocent

Whats that supposed to mean, Bush? different speeds determine the amount of down-force on the wiper. If your in reverse it doesn't even matter. And I don't have a WINDSCREEN...have you ever heard of windscreen wipers? I don't think so. Also, define CLEAN.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58