Installed V Code & B Code Springs, HOORAY!

Snowman269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed V Codes on the front & B Codes on the Rear of the Excursion. What a difference! Both front and rear of the X now absorb bumps in the road like it should have from the factory. These are the same Code springs my F250 has from the factory. Expansion joints don't buck the X at all.

I installed Rancho 9000x shocks a few weeks ago and the ride was much improved. Now with the springs it's awesome!

The rear is a better all around ride improvement than the front. The stock front bottomed on Big Bumps and would make me grit my teeth. The rear was just stiff, period.

The X now sits perfectly level, but I will now add Ride Rite Air Bags to keep it level while towing and loaded. The F250/350's have an overload spring which I didn't install, I think the bags will be nicer for all around flexibility.

The only thing I wish I would have done different, is doing the spring swap sooner. I would have negotiated the spring swap with the dealer at purchase & never tolerated the lumberwagon from the beginning. (I have been contemplating getting rid of X & buying an Escalade due to the ride quality, not anymore!)

With the added height, the X looks really good too!

I wonder how many more Excursions Ford would have sold if they would have sprung them properly off the assembly line? Man Am I happy!

THANKS to Bruce 1954 (A.K.A. Suspension Guru) from the other site.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Sweet! I hope to do the B code rears one day too :sweet

Snap some pics of your Excursion and post em up I'd like to see the finished product :thanks :cowboy:

Bill

Snowman269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
Sweet! I hope to do the B code rears one day too :sweet

Snap some pics of your Excursion and post em up I'd like to see the finished product :thanks :cowboy:

Bill

Hey Bill, I'll snap a pic on Monday when the X returns from Canada. My boss borrowed it for a 4 day "excursion" (funny?) pulling his LARGE boat. I got done swapping springs 2am wednesday morning and the boss loaded up at 7am heading for Canada. My poor wife didn't get to even drive it before I loaned it out. She vacuumed it out at 6am just in time for me to drop it off. (Yes, she IS speaking to me, Heh Heh...)

When you do the rear, you will be glad you did! This thing floats down the road. :thumbs

Dennis

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Snowman269 said:
Hey Bill, I'll snap a pic on Monday when the X returns from Canada. My boss borrowed it for a 4 day "excursion" (funny?) pulling his LARGE boat. I got done swapping springs 2am wednesday morning and the boss loaded up at 7am heading for Canada. My poor wife didn't get to even drive it before I loaned it out. She vacuumed it out at 6am just in time for me to drop it off. (Yes, she IS speaking to me, Heh Heh...)

When you do the rear, you will be glad you did! This thing floats down the road. :thumbs

Dennis
Did all that work till the wee morning hours and loaned it out just a few hours later :sweet Heck of a guy :cowboy:

I'll keep an eye out for when you get the pics uploaded :cool:

Bill

Snowman269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK Bill, the last 2 photo's in my album are the new ones with the new springs. Air Bags are not installed yet. Once I get the bags in, I expect to be able to raise it up an inch in the rear, we'll see. I'm looking for best ride for the $$$.

I'm taking off for a 2 week vacation, so tah tah. :thumbs

That was supposed to be funny. Heh Heh...

Dennis

Snowman269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok gang, Just arrived in Mich after 15 hours on the road. The X with B Codes tows like the F250 now. Ride is unbelievable! Sway is reduced from the stock X springs. Reduced, not eliminated. I believe it still has some directional stability issues with axle wrap that the Rods will completely fix (although I was traveling 75mph trailering & quite comfortable). A some points on the trip, I could not feel the trailer at all. Stock springs would bottom out and cause handling problems before, now the suspension doesn't bottom & the driver stays in control no matter how bad the under construction zones get.

The Rods will go on this week along with Air Bags. I believe the Stock Springs WITH rods handle better than B Codes without rods.

How can I weigh the tongue weight of the trailer? The only thing I can think of is a bathroom scale & they don't go up to 500 lbs. I want to know the trailer tongue weight so I know how much weight is squatting the rear of the X.

The trailer is a 35' enclosed aluminum car hauler weighing 3,500lbs when empty. It will weigh 10,000lbs or so on the return trip. Gotta figure out the tongue weight.

Had a little mishap while backing up the X tonight, left the rear hatch up and smashed it into the V nose on the trailer. Glass everywhere & punched a hole through the BRAND NEW trailer. Being a little over tired is gonna cost me, I know you guys will understand my pain.

I'll have to take some pics of what NOT to do.

Dennis

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Good to hear you made it to your destination okay with the fam Dennis but not without a small mishap while backing up the combination last night :oops:

The glass can be replaced don't sweat it ;)

I do want to talk to you more about the B codes as they're the spring set I'd like to upgrade to also :sweet

Hope ya'll get some rest,I know those 15+ hour trips all too well.

Bill

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to get tongue weight you need to visit the truck scales weigh axles of the X and then unhook the trailer reweigh the axles of the X and the difference will be the tongue weight.

Depending on where you are if there's a local quarry, trucking company, or even the local dump or waste transfer station I've gotten weighted there for free and it's closer to my house than the cat scales. Actually for me the quarry is the best since they leave their scales on all night and it displays the weight so I can see it I can weigh whatever I want and take my dear sweet time

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Snowman269 said:
How can I weigh the tongue weight of the trailer? The only thing I can think of is a bathroom scale & they don't go up to 500 lbs. I want to know the trailer tongue weight so I know how much weight is squatting the rear of the X.
Dennis
This LINK from SDD member FordMasterTech may be of some help :sweet

Bill :cowboy:

Chewman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just for grins;

What'd this mod cost you? Wondering how much to save up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58